78 Cutlass Salon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'll be watching this one. I've always liked those and would love to build one some day. Stance and wheels seem to be the most crucial thing with the Salons. They are much less forgiving than the other body styles. What are the plans for the drivetrain? Get us some more pics!

ssgpolo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 21, 2010
Ft Worth, Texas
I will be installing a complete tubular suspension from gbodyparts.com. Eibach springs with a 2 inch drp kyb shocks. Have most of the braces and will tie the rear frame rails together soon. Have a new welder and need the practice. I put my 87 vette wheels on it and it did not look good. Looks great on the el camino. Am thinking 17 inch torque thrust. Want to keep am old school feel. Would like to find a tucked bumper kit and clean it up a little. Pics to come soon.

78 salon

Greasemonkey
May 3, 2009
Brookfield, Ill
Welcome, I too have a 78 salon 2 dr. I may have a lead on the trim you're looking for. A guy I know in Mich. has a79 turbo century, that is pretty much rotted out, but he's willing to sell some parts from it. I'll check for you. You've got a pm also.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
78 salon said:
Welcome, I too have a 78 salon 2 dr. I may have a lead on the trim you're looking for. A guy I know in Mich. has a79 turbo century, that is pretty much rotted out, but he's willing to sell some parts from it. I'll check for you. You've got a pm also.

How's your car coming along anyway?

78 salon

Greasemonkey
May 3, 2009
Brookfield, Ill
Kind of sitting right now. Moved 1st of the year, and have a garaqge space for it on property. Just been too chilly to work in an unheated garage. BTW, you still got that rear swaybar? Might be interested.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I actually sold that to a younger guy from the north side that has an El Camino. I only sold it because I want to go with one of the Hellwig set-ups instead. I guess it made a world of difference because he called me the next day and sounded excited about how the car handles now.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
My grandfather left me a 79 salon that had the "442" package. There is some pictures of it in my album's. One thing i hate about these cars is the rear end. For the moment we put a chevy 305 that came out of a drag car in it. I do have the original engine though. I plan to rebuild the engine when i have the money. I dont care what anyone says, i think these cars are awesome. I have a video of my car idling on youtube the link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwPLPLEj ... QRP09Em_fD. The car runs good. Plan to put some 2.73's in it soon because i don't have the money for a limited slip 3 series carrier.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
My family had a 2 door version when I was a kid in the early 80's. My mom specifically wanted that one because it was a "fastback" hahahhahahha. Ours had a 350 Olds engine and mom eventually traded it for a little import car to get better mileage with for commuting. We all still wish she had it now. Ours was also Blue with white interior, but bench seat and column shift.

Good score man!

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I didn't realize they ever came with a 350. Someone swap it in? Seems like an odd engine to be paired with a bench and column shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor