BUILD THREAD '78 Cutlass Supreme Lichen Edition

Yeah sad, but quality today isn't what it used to be.
It's crazy to me that I have to order a brake hose with several day's lead time for a platform made until 1988. The eighteen year old at the counter in autozone asked me for additional information, "And, who made the Cutlass?" I feels unreal that the Olds brand was retired 20 years ago, and this boy, no older than my oldest son, likely wouldn't recognize an aurora, let alone a cutlass. Another young man saw me whipping the monte carlo around the parking lot at the taco joint, and commented in surprise, "wow, it handles like a modern car!" To which I replied, yes, it is a modern car, it just lacks airbags and has ashtrays and the wipers suck, but shocks, tires, and swaybars and it handles. In fact, "not handling" AKA driving like a sofa with highly boosted steering was highly regarded when it was new. The eyes glaze over - few understand why I like these old sh1tboxes

Reactions: 2 users
Well now you have it. Get some 26's from a ten speed and add a fart can and you can go to cruise night. Don't forget the neon under the rockers

1701042083554.png

• Useful
Reactions: 5 users
I found the front brake hoses on amazon cheaper than rock auto.

Parts stores are a fkn waste of time. I was picking up plugs at Advance for the 57 fairlane with a 350 sbc I was working on and the kid couldn't find them on the shelf and was confused that someone knew a part number to begin with. The manager who knows me started cracking up when the kid went back to the computer and asked me "what year is the vehicle". He then proceeded to show the kid how to find something on shelf without the computer bs. There might be hope

Reactions: 3 users
Yep, remember the van that puked on your shoes when trying to put gas in. Went in trying to find rubber tube for the filler. The girl at counter let me walk back with her and found a radiator hose that would work. Cut it, attached it and problem fixed.

A week later I needed some 3/8 fuel line and got asked the classic; year, make, and model???

Reactions: 1 users
I reinstalled the gas tank and put in a few gallons and started it today. If I have time, I'll put the driver seat back in and take it around the block, but not before I look into a mysterious "clack" that appears to be coming from the booster just as the foot comes off the brake - became apparent with the car running. Maybe there is some air causing some slapping between the booster's rod and the master cylinder piston?

Compared to the Monte Carlo, brake pedal in the Cutlass appears to be compressing a bubble for the first 1 inch of pedal travel. Need to bleed more - hope bubble isn't in the MC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
And again you're beating me to things that I need to replace as well- my MC/ booster is leaking and has a spongy pedal. I believe I'll be replacing both. Keep up the solid work man!

Put the driver seat back in and drove it around the block a dozen times today. It's rough, but motor is strong, transmission shifts 3 forward gears and reverse, and the brakes stop the car well. I'm shamed to admit I didn't get the rotors or drums turned, but they have been machined by the new pads and don't have any vibes from warp. Need to adjust the ebrake cable; take up some slack.

Either I blew a fuse, or both headlamps burnt up. The driver lamp was off gassing from the filament - like it was smoking inside the lamp. I have spares; I'll check the circuit later

Now, if I can keep my OCD in check, I'll stop working on it until April when I get annual bonus. Need to get the landau delete done by a pro....

Right on. Don't feel bad about the brakes, I didn't have mine turned either. I'll definitely have it done before letting anyone else behind the wheel or even having a passenger though.

After a little research I discovered that the factory 3 speed th200 transmission isn't exactly known for its durability or performance, and it's very common to swap in a th350 with no other mods required. If I recall correctly your Olds is all stock, everywhere, so perhaps a transmission swap might be in order even though this one is currently functional.

The headlights are regulated by the switch itself, no fuse to blow. My high beams were both dead until I flipped the selector about a dozen times, perhaps your headlight switch has loose, broken, or corroded contacts either outside or inside the case. Try turning the lights on and off numerous times to see if it cleans up the contacts at all. If you witnessed a light off-gassing then I'd imagine that light is bad. Here is a fuse box diagram for the '78-'81 Oldsmobile.

Feel free to come work on mine until April if you want. My Landau delete is in horrible shape and desperately needs done over again but I'll tackle that in warmer months.

I'm kicking myself for giving away that 20,000 mile thm250 with the chevy v6 in 2020.

Numerous things seem better built on the '78, but this car is definitely rough compared to the '84 Monte. I'll just replace sh*t in the front end like a mad man until it takes exit ramps at 50 MPH...

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor