78 cutlass W-31 build

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Can only be a few things:
1. Cam is out of time with the crank.
2. Valve train issue like lifters or pushrods are too long and once the rocker pedestal bolt is tight, the valve is open, even on the base circle of the cam.
3. Cam is somehow incompatible with your setup.

I know you are frustrated. I don't blame you. I hope you find the problem soon.
That's what I thaught with nothing working and me not having built a motor in 20 years I'm starting to second guess myself. I'm also second guessing my memory of my in stock parts and there origin

Reactions: 1 user

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
Here's a question. Why are #1 rockers holding open when #1 is TDC and all the marks and the rotor are lined up?
If they are both open, can't be any compression on that particular cylinder when it should have it. Are you sure valve train geometry is correct? Pushrod length, rocker arms, lifters, etc. Both valves should never be open at the same time, unless some overlap I guess, if that's what your saying.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It could be a 330 or 425 cam, I think a later 39 degree cam will run in a 45 degree block, but not the other way around. I am talking shitty rough running but will start. Changing the cam and lifters at this point is a good idea. Is this a Cloyes brand timing set?

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
clutch, when I ask this, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but are the plug wires set for the ccw direction?

years ago, I had to come to the aid of a chevy guy that had accidentally wired them going ccw, and had spent days chasing his tail trying to figure out what went wrong.... sometimes we overlook the most basic things trying to figure out the big stuff...

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
It could be a 330 or 425 cam, I think a later 39 degree cam will run in a 45 degree block, but not the other way around. I am talking shitty rough running but will start. Changing the cam and lifters at this point is a good idea. Is this a Cloyes brand timing set?
Yes

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
clutch, when I ask this, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but are the plug wires set for the ccw direction?

years ago, I had to come to the aid of a chevy guy that had accidentally wired them going ccw, and had spent days chasing his tail trying to figure out what went wrong.... sometimes we overlook the most basic things trying to figure out the big stuff...
Yes ccw lol I did that when I was a kid on my first Diesel conversion

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor