78 cutlass W-31 build

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Well needless to say I didn't sleep much and I'm up for my 8 hours of slavery with a bad back. So I asked my brother for help and we'll I doubt he's going to lift a finger however the lifters I used came from him now that they are in the car he told me they may be the wrong ones..... really thanks Tony so I'll pull a valve cover tonight and see if it shoots oil across the yard if it does there Chevy lifters and I'll need to get new olds ones and change them no one carries this stuff around here so yea it's probably not getting finished in time if I can keep myself from lighting it on fire it's going to be for sale after I take my kids to a car show in it because that's what I promised my mother sucks I feal like I've lost my mind if I can't make old cars run I suck!

Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Well needless to say I didn't sleep much and I'm up for my 8 hours of slavery with a bad back. So I asked my brother for help and we'll I doubt he's going to lift a finger however the lifters I used came from him now that they are in the car he told me they may be the wrong ones..... really thanks Tony so I'll pull a valve cover tonight and see if it shoots oil across the yard if it does there Chevy lifters and I'll need to get new olds ones and change them no one carries this stuff around here so yea it's probably not getting finished in time if I can keep myself from lighting it on fire it's going to be for sale after I take my kids to a car show in it because that's what I promised my mother sucks I feal like I've lost my mind if I can't make old cars run I suck!
Oh and thanks guys for the kind words of encouragement I'm just wore smooth out

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Does it have low oil pressure? Pretty sure that is a sign of the wrong lifters. My projects have projects fought me, every step of the way, considered fire and a lot of it. Get the Qjet on, fill the bowl with gas and prime the intake a little as well. It should fire up and run. Then just get the exhaust back in place.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Does it have low oil pressure? Pretty sure that is a sign of the wrong lifters. My projects have projects fought me, every step of the way, considered fire and a lot of it. Get the Qjet on, fill the bowl with gas and prime the intake a little as well. It should fire up and run. Then just get the exhaust back in place.
Did all that. If there Chevy lifters and you crank it over with no valve covers it should shoot oil like crazy I'm going to pull the valve cover and check tonight

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
40 psi

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
Mr Eric...have you checked compression? Valves opening and closing ok? Correct me if I'm wrong, the timing marks on cam and crank gear on the 455 both go at 12 o'clock position? Keep trying man. You will get it.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
40 psi
Mr Eric...have you checked compression? Valves opening and closing ok? Correct me if I'm wrong, the timing marks on cam and crank gear on the 455 both go at 12 o'clock position? Keep trying man. You will get it.
From what I understand Pontiac it 12:00 and 12:00 olds is 12: on crank and 6:00 on cam except for the 400 however I've never had a 400 or a Pontiac apart. it's apart now I'm going to play with it until the wife gets home but then I need to attempted to move furniture with my tour up back...no rest for the wicked I'll take some pictures and post them

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
40 psi

From what I understand Pontiac it 12:00 and 12:00 olds is 12: on crank and 6:00 on cam except for the 400 however I've never had a 400 or a Pontiac apart. it's apart now I'm going to play with it until the wife gets home but then I need to attempted to move furniture with my tour up back...no rest for the wicked I'll take some pictures and post them
I could have sworn olds 455 was 12 and 12...but you probably know better than me. Check the compression on it. Take it easy with furniture

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I could have sworn olds 455 was 12 and 12...but you probably know better than me. Check the compression on it. Take it easy with furniture
Well every other rotation it is and set opposite would just make the distributor 180° out

• Agree

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
IMG_20170724_172402.jpg
that's the top of #1 piston threw the plug hole
IMG_20170724_172515.jpg
that's the timeing marks dot to dot
IMG_20170724_172543.jpg
that's #1 wire it's 18436572 counter clockwise
IMG_20170724_172616.jpg
that's the rotor on #1

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor