78 Cutlass Wagon- "CopperTop"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Congrats to you guys on the sweet find. There's a lot of cool stuff going on with that time capsule. I'd be willing to bet that seat upholstery is a pretty rare pattern too. Probably not going to fit in with the master plan but if it cleans up might be of interest to someone. Keep working on your son about the roof rack too. Any idea yet what gears GM paired with the 350/350 combo?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Cool find.
The Aztec upholstery pattern is quite rare...

Don't bother putting the grilles on epay... I'll buy them as soon as you're ready to pull them off.
I'd be happy to buy the headlight bezels too.
I can send you my faded but crack-free bezels since you're just going to black them out.

Shoot me a PM as soon as you're ready...

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Looking good man! I can't wait to see what you have in mine. I may have to talk you into doing a rendering for mine :p

Blake442 said:
Cool find.
The Aztec upholstery pattern is quite rare...

Don't bother putting the grilles on epay... I'll buy them as soon as you're ready to pull them off.
I'd be happy to buy the headlight bezels too.
I can send you my faded but crack-free bezels since you're just going to black them out.

Shoot me a PM as soon as you're ready...

Black almost beat me to it. I would take yours Blake, grill and bezels, since I am painting mine black (mine are cracked so I need replacements). Maybe the three of us could work something out?

The upholstery is unique, but not my style. They are in god shape. you may be able to even find a buyer for those seats or set covers?

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
Sweet find - and love the CopperTop art!

I can hear it in my head now "The OFFICIAL badass wagon of the Duracell corporation..." or something like that!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
A lot of great potential there. It wouldn't take much to make it a presentable cruiser.
I've never seen that type of upholstery pattern before...very unusual.
I'll stay tuned for updates.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Thanks everyone for the compliments!

King- Hmmm, I like that tag line, lol!

I'll snap some up close up photos of the grilles over the weekend. I bought the Salon/ 442 grilles on my car off ebay a while back. the ad described them as being in decent shape but they're warped a little and the chrome is peeling and such. I also scored a brand new still in the box from GM set of Salon grills about a year ago for a stupid cheap price. The new ones will be going on my car and since the old ones are a little banged up we'll just paint them all black and put them on CopperTop.

Blake- are yours the same as what is on CopperTop? (3 Vertical bars) or are they like mine? (one vertical bar) My son would rather have the single bars, he thinks the 3 bars look too old foagie, lol! I wish the factory made grilles with no center bars, just open and deep. I'd be all over that!

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
DRIVEN said:
Congrats to you guys on the sweet find. There's a lot of cool stuff going on with that time capsule. I'd be willing to bet that seat upholstery is a pretty rare pattern too. Probably not going to fit in with the master plan but if it cleans up might be of interest to someone. Keep working on your son about the roof rack too. Any idea yet what gears GM paired with the 350/350 combo?

I didn't realize the seats were that rare. We're going black so I have no interest in them at all. Infact I think they're a bit ugly, but I'm of the mindset that seats should be subtle in design. There is a rip in the driver's bum area, I'll get a pic tomorrow. Maybe it would be worth taking them off and put them on ebay with no reserve. I need to do some spring cleaning on all my car's interiors ( I have 4 kids from age 5-15 ;) ) so maybe we'll rent one of those machines that will clean upholstery and see how they clean up. Funny, several years ago I picked up a local junker 78 wagon for parts. It also had the Aztec pattern, but the whole interior of that car was completely thrashed.

This car feels like the gears are lower than mine (I have 2.41s). I know I could just pull the cover and count teeth but that oil stinks way too much, Lol! I'd rather wait till there's a lift free at work one Saturday and check the serial number. I'll definitely post it up when we get to that point.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
SRD art said:
I wish the factory made grilles with no center bars, just open and deep. I'd be all over that!

1001st post!

Ben, I have been thinking about trying to make these out of aluminum, and just powder coating or plasti-dipping them. I have a few ideas in mind on how to do it.

Good score on the NOS ones!

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
SRD art said:
I didn't realize the seats were that rare.
:lol: Rare doesn't always = valuable or desirable. But I'm sure someone out there would love to have them. I've only seen that style in 2 Supremes before. Never in a wagon.
Upholstery cleaning tip: When I was 17 I worked in a detail shop as a summer job. We used Tide on everything. Just a gallon bucket of hot water with about 1/4 cup Tide mixed in. Scrub it in and suck out the residue with a shop vac. Works great on carpet too. Also, put the same solution in a spray bottle to loosen grime that collects in the crevices of dashes, console and vents. Follow up with a toothbrush and compressed air. Just thought I'd pass that along to you and anyone else who might be reading along. CopperTop is gonna look great after some detail work.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Yeah! Especially when the future driver has a vested interest in his out handiwork! He'll get to see it every time he gets into the car...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor