'78 Grand LeMans PARTING! SOLD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Thank you. :) Now the real debate starts with what company i go with for '78-79 light blue. Dixie upped their price per can to $30! :( and i heard from Gbodyparts it has a slight greenish tint too it.
SEM Doesn't have the correct color, so i wonder going to a body shop with the body tags wondering what it'll cost.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Thank you. :) Now the real debate starts with what company i go with for '78-79 light blue. Dixie upped their price per can to $30! :( and i heard from Gbodyparts it has a slight greenish tint too it.
SEM Doesn't have the correct color, so i wonder going to a body shop with the body tags wondering what it'll cost.

Maybe an arm. Here's the PPG codes for your light blue. Semi-gloss is 14782, low gloss for the dash & any other part the needs a low reflective finish is 15149. Should be able to cross them with other brands. For a reference, I do have paint chips for '78-'88 GM as I have collected the PPG materials since I started mixing it nearly 20 years ago.

• Creative
Reactions: 1 user

genestang

Apprentice
Sep 18, 2021
Just a thought but go to Lowe’s or Home Depot they can mix and match most all paint. I did it with interior on a 72 Monty at one point then purchased a aerosol sprayer for about 10 bucks at the time and sprayed my interior plastic panels. Worked great and just a suggestion

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Just a thought but go to Lowe’s or Home Depot they can mix and match most all paint. I did it with interior on a 72 Monty at one point then purchased a aerosol sprayer for about 10 bucks at the time and sprayed my interior plastic panels. Worked great and just a suggestion
I appreciate the suggestion but my car is so original (Top one in my signature) Mileage is correct. it is more or less a show car than anything. So i would like it to match and be original. Most parts on the car are NOS at this point. Too bad SEM didn't carry the correct color.

genestang

Apprentice
Sep 18, 2021
I appreciate the suggestion but my car being so original (Top one in my signature) Mileage is correct. it is more or less a show car than anything. So i would like it to match and be original. Most parts on the car are NOS at this point.
I understand I tried to match mine to original when I was working on that project but was hard because 71 was somewhat a carryover for 72. Good luck in your search for it. I found in my search getting it matched and mixed was my only choice. Again good luck in your search especially for a show quality car

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I appreciate the suggestion but my car is so original (Top one in my signature) Mileage is correct. it is more or less a show car than anything. So i would like it to match and be original. Most parts on the car are NOS at this point. Too bad SEM didn't carry the correct color.
One thing I will advise you on is with recoloring parts is there is no guarantee on a 100% color match as the variaces or colors of OE parts were never a 100% match due to different lots for fabric dyes, plastic pigments, paint mixes. With my parts I have recolored I do notice the slight shade differences but to someone who never mixed paint may never notice.

• Informative

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
I understand I tried to match mine to original when I was working on that project but was hard because 71 was somewhat a carryover for 72. Good luck in your search for it. I found in my search getting it matched and mixed was my only choice. Again good luck in your search especially for a show quality car
Thanks, i know how hard it can be, I've been researching all of this and trying to find a solution for almost 4 years now. lol.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
One thing I will advise you on is with recoloring parts is there is no guarantee on a 100% color match as the variaces or colors of OE parts were never a 100% match due to different lots for fabric dyes, plastic pigments, paint mixes. With my parts I have recolored I do notice the slight shade differences but to someone who never mixed paint may never notice.
i do not know how to use a gun or mix. i just use cans. but i can see how that is purely a waste of product and not efficient.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
i do not know how to use a gun or mix. i just use cans. but i can see how that is purely a waste of product and not efficient.
The PPG stuff is ready to spray & you can pick up a Preval sprayer to spray it with. Easy & you can get extra spray units & reuse the jar. I like these & less waste with a regular spray can.
1633604348152.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
The PPG stuff is ready to spray & you can pick up a Preval sprayer to spray it with. Easy & you can get extra spray units & reuse the jar. I like these & less waste with a regular spray can.
View attachment 185055
Awesome recommendation! First time hearing about this. My problem is the interior I'm working with is very crunchy, brittle, and falls to dust by the touch. Not enough $$ right now to replace it or even find any... Typical Pontiac interior issues. Smh. So i don't think I'll be able to Prep it really...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor