78 Malibu LS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NM1999

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2018
I'm not judging whichever route you go you'll enjoy it the carb setup is simple, efi well I'm with you its a head scratcher lol. The 4sp manual is so so I'd look for a t56 from a 99-02 LS1 fbody that way you can get all the parts for the motor and trans at the same time. If you get one from a GTO you have to use the GTO bellhousing, shifter and starter, the CTSv idk to much about. And honestly if you dont have to replace anything don't that 10 bolts holding up leave it until it breaks. I did a carb 5.3/350th and the oil pump went out sounded good had wires everywhere though lol.
I have never built a car myself and Ive only ever messed with Carbed stuff so I would like to leave it carbed but God they can be such a pain sometimes lol, and I would like a auto better probably I can really drive stick the best lol

GbodyL.Sguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2017
Ohio
I have never built a car myself and Ive only ever messed with Carbed stuff so I would like to leave it carbed but God they can be such a pain sometimes lol, and I would like a auto better probably I can really drive stick the best lol

Lol man they do require finesse but I think they're worth it and it gives me a reason to check everything under the hood so I can replace or revise something I missed. But which trans did you have in mind summit racing and jegs have the crossmembers for gbodys to run whichever trans you want as well as trans controllers.

NM1999

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2018
Lol man they do require finesse but I think they're worth it and it gives me a reason to check everything under the hood so I can replace or revise something I missed. But which trans did you have in mind summit racing and jegs have the crossmembers for gbodys to run whichever trans you want as well as trans controllers.
I would really like to put a turbo 350 in it because thats the only racing trans I really know of. I have just recently within the past year got into cars so Im still pretty ignorant of most things car wise, but I would like a turbo 350 in it

GbodyL.Sguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2017
Ohio
Its cool man its never to late to learn about cars especially if you plan on building and keeping them. But there's a couple options 350th,400th are the simplest and can be built for a reasonable price. 2004r,700r4 (3 speeds w/overdrive) can be built to handle whatever but they cost some change to build and they have a tv cable that needs adjusted correctly or you'll grenade the trans. The 4l60e,4l80e (3 speeds w/overdrive) are newer transmissions the 80e is the stronger internal build of the two and both can mate to an LS engine just get the correct ecu or transmission controller. Those are just a couple options but theres more lol. Honestly if you have time just look at the car and really get a idea of what you want out of it then start pricing parts and get ready for a lot of down time unless you have money like that lol

NM1999

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2018
Its cool man its never to late to learn about cars especially if you plan on building and keeping them. But there's a couple options 350th,400th are the simplest and can be built for a reasonable price. 2004r,700r4 (3 speeds w/overdrive) can be built to handle whatever but they cost some change to build and they have a tv cable that needs adjusted correctly or you'll grenade the trans. The 4l60e,4l80e (3 speeds w/overdrive) are newer transmissions the 80e is the stronger internal build of the two and both can mate to an LS engine just get the correct ecu or transmission controller. Those are just a couple options but theres more lol. Honestly if you have time just look at the car and really get a idea of what you want out of it then start pricing parts and get ready for a lot of down time unless you have money like that lol
Thanks man, had no idea there was that many trans options! Ill have alot of downtime cause I want to take my time with it and do it right, I want to fully restore it and build the motor I just have little knowledge of builds lol It is defientely a learning curve thats for sure

GbodyL.Sguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2017
Ohio
Thanks man, had no idea there was that many trans options! Ill have alot of downtime cause I want to take my time with it and do it right, I want to fully restore it and build the motor I just have little knowledge of builds lol It is defientely a learning curve thats for sure

Man its crazy how many options and routes you can go with these gbodys. And take as much time as you need this is my 3rd year with my cutlass and its seen a sbc, olds small block, LS swap and more than likely a big block swap. I plan on taking the body off the frame and bracing it when it warms up. Good luck with your build I have a gen 3 98-04 and some 05 MSD 6010 with the pills and disc, Holley Single Plane Intake,water pump,coil packs w/truck brackets and i believe the valve covers,ls1 spark plugs, upper radiator hose w/ the coupler and T-fitting and ICT motor mount adapters with the sbc motor mounts, Edelbrock 600cfm electric choke carb and Hedman Hustler mid-length headers w/bolts and gaskets if your interested in them message me like i said I'm going big block so I don't need this stuff. Everything listed has like maybe 5hrs of run time on them.

Reactions: 1 user

NM1999

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2018
Man its crazy how many options and routes you can go with these gbodys. And take as much time as you need this is my 3rd year with my cutlass and its seen a sbc, olds small block, LS swap and more than likely a big block swap. I plan on taking the body off the frame and bracing it when it warms up. Good luck with your build I have a gen 3 98-04 and some 05 MSD 6010 with the pills and disc, Holley Single Plane Intake,water pump,coil packs w/truck brackets and i believe the valve covers,ls1 spark plugs, upper radiator hose w/ the coupler and T-fitting and ICT motor mount adapters with the sbc motor mounts, Edelbrock 600cfm electric choke carb and Hedman Hustler mid-length headers w/bolts and gaskets if your interested in them message me like i said I'm going big block so I don't need this stuff. Everything listed has like maybe 5hrs of run time on them.
Thanks man Id definetly be interested in some of those parts

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Carbed LS engines work, but the technology to have EFI controlling over 400hp is awesome!!! I have this LS getting ready to go into my Cutlass, and this 4L80E will be getting a shift kit so that it's good for big power!!!!
20181125_124621.jpg
20181231_175444.jpg
20181222_104224.jpg

You gotta start somewhere man, ask questions and do your research!!! Maybe look into the self tuning EFI setups, they look like carbs, easy to wire up and really efficient.

Reactions: 1 users

GbodyL.Sguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2017
Ohio
Man thats a clean Cutlass, I never liked the euro look until i bought my 86 and 87 lol . How far away are you from dropping everything in and having it on the road.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor