78 monte rust repair questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I just checked , Summit has the frame rails for $200-250 an they fit your car without any floor mods. Maybe somewhere else cheaper.

Reactions: 1 user

AxiumVlor

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2017
I just checked , Summit has the frame rails for $200-250 an they fit your car without any floor mods. Maybe somewhere else cheaper.
Cant seem to find what you are looking at i found rear frame rail repair kits for $65 but thats only if i take the body off and look to see if there is enough there to repair

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Cant seem to find what you are looking at i found rear frame rail repair kits for $65 but thats only if i take the body off and look to see if there is enough there to repair

Your looking at the notch kit.
Should have said WILL work for your car. Universal frame rails and you'll need to look at them an read between the lines in the comment's !
Personally l would build them as the metal would be $50 or less.

1STLATIGERDIVISON

Greasemonkey
Nov 6, 2016
NW Louiwiana
Was under my 78 monte today and decided to take a detailed look at the extent of the rust damage on the frame and body and some of it seemed far worse than i remembered before parking it in a storage unit 5 years ago passenger side is in the best shape as i found nothing beyond surface rust on the frame and small rust holes on the body
View attachment 64667 View attachment 64667 View attachment 64668 View attachment 64669
The driver side got the worst of it including a large rust spot in the body infront of rear tire and bottom of the frame rusted out starting about 6 inches behind the rear axle View attachment 64673 View attachment 64674 View attachment 64675 View attachment 64676
My question is having never done rust repair before i have been told i can use plate and angle steel to patch the rusted out frame. Is this true and recommended or would it be better to cut and weld anothe piece of frame in its place? Was also told could do something similar wit the rust holes in the body by cutting out around them and welding a piece over them then grinding down the welds as flush as possible then paint. Also meantioned a set of chrome "runners" to cover the kick panels. So suggestions? Tips?

I cut the rust out like the cancer it is fab a piece of sheet metal to fit body. Spot weld in around new piece, get an pneumatic angle grinder, the small one, grind flush, file as needed with body file in cross patterns r to l the l to r so as not to create any type of grove pattern. Same with filler. On frame cut bad places out do same but use steel plate, weld completely no need to grind just get a good surface use a Rustoleum type paint a 2 n 1 paint/primer used this in past works great. Use a wire gun or tig for sheet metal. To hold in place weld small extenders that can be cut easily with wire cutters then grind the area smooth the fill over it. Use a straight edge over filler to assure uniformity in another words to hills or valleys just nice & flat

Hope that helped or get other tips watch the show Overhaulin very informative

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

AxiumVlor

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2017
I cut the rust out like the cancer it is fab a piece of sheet metal to fit body. Spot weld in around new piece, get an pneumatic angle grinder, the small one, grind flush, file as needed with body file in cross patterns r to l the l to r so as not to create any type of grove pattern. Same with filler. On frame cut bad places out do same but use steel plate, weld completely no need to grind just get a good surface use a Rustoleum type paint a 2 n 1 paint/primer used this in past works great. Use a wire gun or tig for sheet metal. To hold in place weld small extenders that can be cut easily with wire cutters then grind the area smooth the fill over it. Use a straight edge over filler to assure uniformity in another words to hills or valleys just nice & flat

Hope that helped or get other tips watch the show Overhaulin very informative
To cut out the "bad spots" whole driver side behind rear axle will have to be cut off and i would likely have to find a cheap or donor rear half of the frame to cut and replace or i might as well replace the qhole thing so i was thinking along the lines of tubbing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor