78 Olds in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
This could be in a shipping container on the way across the pond.....
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/selling-olds-403-build-feelers-for-price.69091/
There's an Olds enthusiast over there named Roger (rusty roger on classicoldsmobile, I believe). He's been over here to the Dick Miller race; met him in '06 or7- cool cat. He's a retired dairy farmer and a member of the Sussex/Suffolk/something-like-that car club. He used to have a yellow '70 Cutlass that he drag raced. You need to be friends.

Reactions: 1 users

Rustic302

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2018
London, UK
I love the G Bodies, I'm remembering how easy they are to work on again after the Eldorado. For example I can get underneath it without jacking it up and change all the spark plugs without removing a heap of plastic covers or whatever.

CaliWagon83: what do you think of the roads in Milton Keynes? It's famous for it's modern road layout and roundabouts but I found it confusing.

fleming442, foxtrot and Zspoiler: yeah a 403 may be on the cards - someone near my dad is selling one, 455s come up now an again.
I bought the Hurst around 2007 from a farmer in Sussex, I wonder...? There is another guy with a field full of American iron, I was going to buy a 72 Chevy Vega Cosworth from him - I love H Bodies also but they are rarer here than G bodies - I'd have to go to Belgium or Holland to get one.

airboatgreg, foxtrot: where abouts in England? I have family in US but mainly NE - Chicago, NY, Maryland my 1st experience of American cars was a grand-uncle over here picked us up in a bright white Cadillac or Lincoln in the mid 70s, he used to build them in Detroit.

It's 7pm here (another 2 hours sun light), I was going to go out and fiddle with the car but I thought I'd respond to all your warm welcomes. Sorry I can't respond to everyone but thanks!

I should probably post this in the correct forum section (and I have been searching for a while) but much appreciated if anyone has a good idea: with the engine running, when I press the brake pedal it stays on the floor (like vacuum is holding it down) what is the likely culprit: the master cylinder, booster or could it be the 10 year old brake fluid?

Reactions: 1 user

Rustic302

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2018
London, UK
BuickOldsPontiac: My geography is terrible, I thought Delaware was out near Utah!?
Had to use google, and you actually have a Dover (which is the near where I grew up) a Camden (which is near where I live now) and a Kent (where I was born) along with Cambridge and Salisbury, interesting.

Reactions: 1 users

Zeus785

Greasemonkey
Apr 30, 2018
Welcome, love that color of olds

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
We visited London last spring as a family. We went to the London Zoo, so we probably walked about 10 miles around Camden. I remember my son saw a manual transmission Jaguar X-type Wagon on the street in Camden when we were walking to the zoo. He's a DJ in College and a 4 wheel drive, manual transmission station wagon is his dream car. We didn't get that model in the US.

I have 2 Jaguars (XK8 and XJ8) and rust from brined roads seems to be the biggest issue with driving cars in the UK.

The brake issue could be a rusty brake line or a blown caliper/wheel cylinder. I would make sure it isn't losing fluid when it goes down stays down.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Rustic302, to be perfectly honest, I've never actually driven in the UK! Only taxis and ridden with friends. Even riding on opposite-side roads is somewhat disorienting to me. In terms of roundabouts, I'm a fan of them when used judiciously, but I think some towns kind of go overboard with them. There's a suburb near where I live where nearly every intersection is a roundabout. It's frankly a little obnoxious, IMHO.

"Milton Keynes" seems to be a running joke in the UK. Whenever we check in with customs officers at Heathrow, they just chuckle, smile and say, "Milton Keynes, heh....Enjoy your trip!" or "Ahh yes, beautiful Milton Keynes!" It is rather industrial and gray, but I don't hate it.

Rustic302

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2018
London, UK
CaliWagon83, You're right, people make fun of Milton Keynes but it is a nice place. There's a place in west London with this long, wide straight road that you can see down for miles it seems. For some reason it has traffic lights every few 100 metres which will catch you out eventually, there's no intersection, no cars or pedestrians pass across - weird, like it's a test road for ministry of traffic.

UNGN, hope you all had a good time in London. My dad has had Jaguars since before I was born and my brother has an XK8. That X type sounds like a nice combo. It's a shame that certain versions of cars don't get sold in certain countries like we had the S10 Blazer but no 2 doors (Europe got 'em though). The road salt is an issue and this Cutlass has been affected so I will check the brake lines, thanks for the info.

Zeus785, When I saw the car first I was like "woah, that's so '70s" even the seller was saying matt black it, but the colour is growing on me.
Or white lower and gold upper like an '80 W30, or the black lower gold upper or all gold.. choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor