79 Cutlass Wagon G-machine build

Status
Not open for further replies.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
This is an awesome build, Love that you are doing the work yourself as well. Can't wait to see where this car goes.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
More parts and art...

For the car's interior I definitely want to get rid of the bench seat. During hard cornering it doesn't give much support, the cover is pretty banged up, and it doesn't match the rest of the build at all. I considered getting some seats from Summit Racing, they have the Summit brand seat for $149 and the lower line Procar for $156, but I was concerned that the lower end seats may not be fantastic quality and I wanted something unique. With having worked last year as an apprentice in an upholstery shop I decided to find a used seat I like and customize the covers.

I'd love to keep my car all GM, but as I went through the local wrecking yards it's difficult to find a GM with a real performance type seat. Seems a lot of the seats are made to compensate for big Americans and my somewhat smallish 5'-10" and 160 lb size didn't fit snug in anything. Then I stumbled upon a '98 Mazda MX3 in the import section. After sitting in the seat I knew these were the ones. They fit me like a glove, have great supports to keep me planted while cornering and I like the hole under the headrest so I can run a 5-point harness through for seat belts.

The driver's side foam is beat up just a little but that's very easy to fix. Other than that they're in decent shape and a great base to start with. Not bad for $50 for the pair. The plan is I will remove the covers, take all the seams apart, using the old panels as a pattern cut out the new material and then have my old boss sew it all together. He offered to let me run the machine but I want perfect lines and curves so I'd rather the guy with 25+ years experience do the sewing. When he's done I'll assemble them back together and build custom mounts to bolt them into my floor pan. Doing a lot of the work myself I should be able to have the front and back seats done for about the same cost or less than the pair of Summit seats.

Seats.jpg

Here are the materials I'm considering. I took a paint chip book with GM 2008 Avalanche orange over to the upholstery shop and we found that his British Tan was a fairly close match. I also looked at some black vinyl with the same grain as the tan, as well as some "carbon fiber" pattern vinyl. These are all high quality products and will last for years to come.

Brtan1.jpg
blackcarb.jpg

silvercarb.jpg

Here are some design ideas I was toying with. So far I think I'm liking A, B, E, & F the best.

I like A & B because they're mostly black and have a bit more aggressive look. The outer perimeter will be smooth vinyl and the center black area will be carbon fiber pattern.

Seat1.jpg

C & D- a couple more mostly black variations.

Seat2.jpg

E & F I like because they would really brighten up the interior. I need to do a paint spray out card first before deciding on these, if the tan didn't actually match the orange very well it would be a big mess. If that were the case having just a small accent strip like A would be a better choice.

Seat3.jpg

Another variation of mostly tan center.

Seat4.jpg

Finally a different color combo. With the car being black and orange I will be using brushed aluminum and silver as my accent color. In this variation I'd use smooth on the perimeter and both silver and black carbon vinyl on the inserts. After seeing this one I decided I'd rather stick with the tan to tie it into the exterior a little more.

Seat5.jpg

Feel free to let me know what you all think. :)

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That's a nice brake upgrade. Are those F-body calipers dual piston?

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
I haven't bought the calipers yet but the photo on the Oreilly's auto parts (same as Checker, Kragen or Shucks I think) chain parts store's website showed a dual piston. The core charge was almost as much as the calipers themselves so might not be a bad idea to grab a set from the junkyard either to use or for cores. Not many of these cars in yards around here so I have to buy mine new.

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
You are displaying what...Hot rodding is, taking something and making it fast fun and sexy

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You're right, there isn't many of those cars in the junkyard...or hardly any. I guess you're also aware of the '98+ 2WD Blazer front brake upgrade. It entails using the complete sealed hub spindle assembly with rotors and calipers. It's also a dual piston configuration. It can be upgraded (modified) to use larger Corvette rotors with the use of a bracket. Very similar to the modified G-body set up that you indicated and posted.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
I've heard of doing the S10 hub swap, but most folks said try to steer clear because of cost of the hubs. If you can find a cheap wrecking yard set it's probably a great idea. I opted for the way I am mostly planning for cheap repairs in the future.

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
Longroof79 said:
You're right, there isn't many of those cars in the junkyard...or hardly any. I guess you're also aware of the '98+ 2WD Blazer front brake upgrade. It entails using the complete sealed hub spindle assembly with rotors and calipers. It's also a dual piston configuration. It can be upgraded (modified) to use larger Corvette rotors with the use of a bracket. Very similar to the modified G-body set up that you indicated and posted.

yup planning this one myself as it requires no cutting and tapping at all, just a spindle swap! and brake line adapter.

wade

p.s, I dig your build its been subscribed with some great company :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor