8.5 change over

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
1977 Montes had 8.5" 10-bolts but the housing is different than a G-Body.

Alanco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2006
Kingston, Nevada
firedowg said:
How hard would it be to set up a 8.5 that dosnt have the spring perches or set up at all for a g-body. Can you buy the mount somewhere to do so?

The easiest thing is to use an A-Body (67-77) or so rear end, and it is the correct width. You then have to use adjustable upper link bars and it is smart to use the lower "lift" bars. If you can find them, usually on e-bay, South Side Machine made conversion bar sets to put in an A-body rear in a g-body. They are great, that is what I used. I found a nice A-Body rear with a 2.83 posi for $200, the bought a 3.42 (used) ring and pinion and installed them since I am using a 2004-R OD transmission. If you can't find the SS Machine bars, you just get a set of adjustable upper links, and you find a set of lower links that are called "lift" bars.

I would not use a Ford 9" for several reasons. It is much larger in the area where the tailpipes come over the rear axle. There is no extra room here. If you use a Ford, no rear disks will fit, and you need custom axles with GM bolt patterns, and you need ford drum brakes, usually from a Truck. Then you will have to set up a 9" Ford Pumpkin, and buy a much more expensive (than GM) posi unit and a ring and pinion and some bearings.

As one of the guys stated, there are actual G-body 8.5" (10-bolt) rear ends which were used in high performance G-body cars like the Olds 442, the Hurst Olds, the Buick GN, and T-Type, Chevy Monte Carlos and some Pontiacs. They are not easy to find.

So, IMO, the A-body rear end is the best swap as it is plenty strong, and there are cheap posi units and ring and pinions, and the axles are strong enough to start with. You only need to get conversion link bars.........

Regards,

Alanco

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Don't bother looking for 10-bolt 8.5" rear axle assemblys in any G Body MonteSS or Pontiac as they were never available with them. Only 1984 and newer Buick Turbo Regals and GNs and Olds Hurst/442s had the 8.5".

87GP

Greasemonkey
Jul 15, 2006
I know this is probably a stupid question, but what the hell, if I don't ask I'll never know, right? :lol:

What's the difference between 67-77 A body rears and 78-81 A body rears?
Are the 78 & up really just G bodies that were just listed as A bodies or are there some real differences between A and G 78 & up? Aside from body panels or engine/trans combo, etc?

Alanco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2006
Kingston, Nevada
mrapii said:
Don't bother looking for 10-bolt 8.5" rear axle assemblys in any G Body MonteSS or Pontiac as they were never available with them. Only 1984 and newer Buick Turbo Regals and GNs and Olds Hurst/442s had the 8.5".

10-4 to that. I found an 83 Buick T-Type that did not have the 8.5", in fact it is the one I got the 200 4R from. The early 200 4Rs are very week and I got the transmission for $100. It will need clutch drums, input shells, clutch packs and a whole lot of parts, about $600 worth.

In any case, the lots are full of A-body rears which are the correct width for our g-body cars. So there should not be a big problem finding them or the link bars.

Alanco.

Alanco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2006
Kingston, Nevada
87GP said:
I know this is probably a stupid question, but what the hell, if I don't ask I'll never know, right? :lol:

What's the difference between 67-77 A body rears and 78-81 A body rears?
Are the 78 & up really just G bodies that were just listed as A bodies or are there some real differences between A and G 78 & up? Aside from body panels or engine/trans combo, etc?

I would like to know the answer to that myself.............

Alanco

dirty joe

Apprentice
Dec 14, 2006
405 okc
on intstalition a 12 bolt into a g-body with the upper and lower adjustable arms from that guy on ebay, do you have to cut the spring perches and shock mounts, and move them inward to get them to line up to the stock g-body mounts on the body and frame or just buy that kit?

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
i am pretty sure you have to move the perches and shock mounts cause i have an 8.5 in my car and both have been moved. the spring perches are centered on the tubes of a 8.5 and they are on the forward part of the tube on a 7.5. and the shock mounts were also moved in on my rear end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor