80 442 full powertrain swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Okay note taken, could I move that fuseable link further up towards the alternator?
An alternative could be do like one of my planned ideas for fusible links is to relocate them all together. I have a battery juntion block that will be mounted on the passenger side inner fender with a second positive cable runnung off the battery to it (stock side mount cables). Only the main cable & purple starter wire will be on the starter. Now if I could figure out all the maxi sizes & exact number to use I'd need I'll work in the early '90's H body maxi fuse box to get rid of the links.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It’s a great idea to make the starter wiring simple. 2 wires is way easier. The junction that pagrunt has described is what I’ve gone to. The junction post has a short wire to the starter, a wire from the alternator and an 8 garage wire to a distribution block to power all of my under hood accessories and the cabin. It creates an easy access spot and cleans up the starter to 2 wires.

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Exactly. If you’re running stock accessories, then you should need the amperage limit of the fusible link.

I’ve done 3 g-bodies with aftermarket EFI running the stock accessories. But I have no HVAC in any of them and no power seats either. All have had power windows. I run a 40 amp fuse that is tied into both 10 gauge factory wires. I mount the in-line fuse almost directly behind the intake for easy access.

All of my EFI connections and fuel pumps are powered separately directly from the battery.

I can’t say that what I’m doing is correct, but it has worked. I’ll also add that my body to frame, engine to frame, and block to battery grounds are not even remotely questionable. I ground the rear mounted fuel pumps directly to the battery with 10ga and I have #2 wire from the engine to the battery. All of the grounds are new wire - don’t trust any 35-40 year old ground wire.
Ditto on the grounding. On my dually, the motor is grounded to each rail. The core support is grounded to the rail. Battery grounded to the rail. Body ground to each rail. I read where TBI set-ups were especially finicky & that a majority of issues were usually traced back to poor grounds.

Reactions: 1 user

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
Thanks for all the input. Will take some photos and show what I did.

And this bad boy is off to the sandblasters
20220510_131344.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'd strongly recommend pulling it apart before you get it all pretty. If it needs clutches, then now is the best time.

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
Here is my wiring that I changed.

The old. One single wire from the starter post to the fuse block and the other 2 joined. Was a crimp of 3 wires plus 1 that went to the fuse block. The post from the alternator and a lead went to the starter. Another branched off, must be for the AC unit. Been cut something I have to figure out. The feild wire lead back to the starter post. Hope my explanation makes sense.
20220504_224035.jpg
20220504_224048.jpg

Attachments

• 20220509_155240.jpg
    20220509_155240.jpg
    983.7 KB · Views: 78
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor