80 442 full powertrain swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
He has factory 14" aluminum rims.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
140 is plenty, as long as it's actually 140....
I went through this with a 100 amp chrome 10SI alternator and under drive pulleys, probably put out more like 80 amps. Make sure it is a 12si or later style case. The high amp 10SI alternators lasted 2 or 3 years, they can't remove the heat properly and have a shorter life. I have found 100 actual amperage output to be plenty with overdrive factory A/C heavy duty cooling pullies with electric fans, a basic stereo with lights and blower fan on at idle.

Last edited:

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
I am looking at a couple serpentine conversions for Kelvin's car, alot offer 140 amp but also offer upgraded alternators....... but I think it's way too much amps.
For now I am concentrating on the front suspension. A couple of gentleman here gave some good advice, which I will follow, but I am going to swap out the control arms and purchase Sphon control arms. Now I noticed they have a set with taller ball joints. Is there an advantage to this, lower the front end a bit??
Thanks

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
It's only "too much amps" if your engine is too weak to turn it. The alternator will only put out what is necessary; that's what the regulator is for.

Agreed. Going with a bigger alternator is rarely a bad decision. Just because it is rated higher doesn't mean it is producing that much current all the time.

Reactions: 1 user

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
Question. The bracing in the rad craddle and from firewall to rad craddle, is that a custom bracing or can one order online somewhere?
Thanks

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Question. The bracing in the rad craddle and from firewall to rad craddle, is that a custom bracing or can one order online somewhere?
Thanks

Both factory items...the rad X braces are pretty common...the cowl to core support not so much, they were only on the 78-80 Monte Carlos.

I have rad X braces here but sold my last set of cowl to core bars a little while ago.

Reactions: 1 users

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
Well heading home for a few days, shut us down due to rain. Now gives me time to haul Kelvin's car to my mechanic so he can finish my project 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Transmission should be ready in a week or so. ARH headers on the way, double hump crossmember on the way as well.
Now have to order exhaust pipe, thinking of using pypes. Any views on those? MSD Digital 6AL is next on the hit list as well a sphon control arms and steer hardware.
Any one have an idea what taller balljoints do? See sphon has the option of half inch taller balljoints. Pros cons??
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor