'80 442 Vortec swap won't run...

Have you had the valve covers off?

Broken springs, stuck open valves?

I don't remember if you said you cranked it over with covers off and visually verified all the movement of rockers, valves, etc...
Yes, took off both today, to see if lifting evenly, or at all... all work, and half are loose, because they aren't fully pumped up, yet... finally dribbling a little oil off rockers... Nothings broken, valve and springs appear functional... Probably wouldn't hurt to tap tips, see if they're fully seated...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Pretty sure I figured it out... I should have caught it yesterday, when I had valve covers off, but focused on every other rocker having been adjusted with a gap, thinking the lifters weren't fully pumped up... The culprit valves, that appeared adjusted with no gap, are actually a little too tight, and not allowing the valves to fully seat, therefore builds no compression, while cranking... Which is why I felt draw, but no pressure, with finger test...
Will adjust rockers, and confirm assessment tomorrow....

• Useful
Reactions: 6 users
Quickie update: What I'd assumed was loosely adjusted rockers, turned out to be bent pushrods... 7 of 8 exhaust pushrods bent, when I first ran engine for a couple minutes, with no accessories attached... (It's no wonder it wouldn't run after that)...
I replaced pushrods, but haven't tried turning it over yet, as battery is on charger... Once charged, will do a compression test, to see where that got me... Got a pump primer tool, and will make absolutely sure it's getting oil up top, before I try starting it again...

Update... pushrods had no effect on compression... Ended up pulling heads... 7 of 8 exhaust valves were bent... New pushrods bowed a bit, as well...
Replaced all 8 valves, and am working on oiling system now, when that's done, will install heads, intake, distributor, and exhaust...
It should run then.... We'll see. .

Reactions: 3 users
Chevy vortech ?Fires at 90 degrees advance I know that's a typo should be like 10 btc to begin with.what I need is cranking compression lbs,( wrong compression your cams out of time?)and if your timed to firecompression stroke not exhaust tdc..you can check for fire at several plugs .how much gas has been poured into carb...OK at spark plugs are yhey wet if so ...then the next time they will be black hopefully not...yes these are relevant questions
.. pull no 1 plug and bump motor untill you feel it compressing the stop and turn your piston up by hand in the normal cranking direction get it on TDC both valves closed then go to hei distributor 'loosen it's bolt ans turn it ,(dustributor)back and Forth (with switch on)past the number one plug terminal (wstching) there should be a spark each time at the end of no 1 plug wire exactly where it fires tur. The distributor right(cw) 10 degrees then set distributor bolt snung ...with fire at one the rest follow suit... okay so I edited I thought " like 'I was like second (#2)to reply and didn't read entire post glad to hear your working on what you found that's the main thing...did you lap the new exhaust valves in and check the installed height should be close to an oem valve minus the bent ones someone will ask about spring height it's possible those speed power valves will run in a lower milliage head without milling the end of the stems ...knowing how much stem
Is sticking up for a given heads valve height might have been more relevant on the old gen 1s motors or Detroit iron but the installed height always comes to mind ...I have set many heads valve height with a bench grinder and a improvised height jig something like a capenters level a good eye and known height to within "say 2 thousanths vialves will be about 2 thousanths tighter after they breakin ...( not saying file them but?.)
Any one following me..thanks hope I can help some one or you next ti.e your compression gauges is questionable get a cylinder up to within 5 degrees top dead center on the fire stroke ( tdc,) valves supposedly closed and spark plug out take a compressor with hose shoot bout 60 to 90 lbs into the plug hole and listen at the intake or exhaust if lots of airs coming out exhaust you know to check valve situations like debrie(lucky) bent / burnt ,valve seat droped /skipping(loose) seat ,valve set to tight tappet failier evt
..or last a hole in piston stuck rings are sometimes heard at pcv port on valve cover with 90 lbs pumped into plug and up to dead zero valves closed yeah I know to much information...

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor