80s GM G Body for a project...good or bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kidbooo

n00b
Mar 4, 2019
Hello everyone,,
Lately I've been considering hunting another copy of my first car, an '84 Buick Regal LTD. It was only ten years old at the time, low mileage, and I remember it overheated a lot.
Is there any support for the base versions of these cars, IE plain Cutlass or Regal and not just the 442 or T-type? Any other major mechanical issues common to these, or just the usual shoddy 80s GM workmanship?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Really just the usual issues, and of course rust. The only problems you may find is trim, both interior and exterior is harder to find on Regal's vs Monte Carlo and Malibu's... I know the Build guys are always on the lookout for good bumper fillers.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If a car from the 80's is still on the road I don't think you can suggest the workmanship was shoddy....

• Optimistic
  • Disagree
Reactions: 5 users

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Hello everyone,,
Lately I've been considering hunting another copy of my first car, an '84 Buick Regal LTD. It was only ten years old at the time, low mileage, and I remember it overheated a lot.
Is there any support for the base versions of these cars, IE plain Cutlass or Regal and not just the 442 or T-type? Any other major mechanical issues common to these, or just the usual shoddy 80s GM workmanship?
I woukd say go for it! But i may be biased
I have had no problem finding parts for my 84 regal although there is a olds engine in mine and no longer stock V6

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Seems to be a growing support on the regal side, although the entire g family has more available than before. I don’t really see much support in place for the v6 and th200 stuff, mainly abc/sbo/700&200r4’s...

Always keep an eye on the classifieds as well

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Be willing to pay more for a clean example to establish the base. It will save loads of time and $$ on the back end. Unless you like excruciating pain and hate money hanging around.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Seems to be a growing support on the regal side, although the entire g family has more available than before. I don’t really see much support in place for the v6 and th200 stuff, mainly abc/sbo/700&200r4’s...

Always keep an eye on the classifieds as well

Yes and no. GM is discontinuing replacement parts for G bodies like crazy, and there were many cool direct fit performance parts that are long discontinued such as the TES headers. Having said that, there was never much peformance support for the base engines other than maybe the Chevy 4.3. Stange enough, GM seems to not discontinue parts for the base powertrains as much as they are for the performance powertrains. Because a greater number of base G bodies were built, GM probably figures there is a larger market for parts for base models.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Seems like parts support is improving for G-Bodies, but as stated, depends on the model. At least in terms of body and trim pieces, I'm kind of at the mercy of what I can find on eBay and salvage yards for wagons. Availability for Regal coupes is pretty good, and there's pretty ample aftermarket support for those models now. Mechanical stuff is relatively easy to find with some exceptions. Again, helps if you have a coupe. I would say the wagons are the toughest to find parts for.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Can't agree with [U]69hurstolds[/U] more. Wait for the car you want, preferably done to your liking. and pay the man his money as long as he isn't in left field. DO NOT settle for something.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor