BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jim,
Is the new type condenser more efficient and compatible for using 134A? Where do they sell that type? My A/C is going to need refurbishing. I was wondering whether to go with a rotary Sanden 508 compressor, or the usual GM R4 type. My friend has new hoses, all the brackets, etc for the R4 type that he offered to give me.
I kinda like the Sanden compressors better. I think they're more bulletproof than the R4's.
It originally had an A6 axial type, but not only do they weigh a ton, they're horsepower robbers.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Jim,
Is the new type condenser more efficient and compatible for using 134A? Where do they sell that type? My A/C is going to need refurbishing. I was wondering whether to go with a rotary Sanden 508 compressor, or the usual GM R4 type. My friend has new hoses, all the brackets, etc for the R4 type that he offered to give me.
I kinda like the Sanden compressors better. I think they're more bulletproof than the R4's.
It originally had an A6 axial type, but not only do they weigh a ton, they're horsepower robbers.

Yes Jack it is. It has WAY more passages and fins per inch. I got it from rock auto for like 89 bucks. The outlets on this one are on the passenger side. Not sure what side yours are on. If I were you and had the opportunity, I would run the Sanden since you can get the hoses and all. I am stuck with the R4, since it's a pain to get the Sanden in the factory turbo Buick spot, though it has been done.

There are a few guys on the TB boards using this condenser, so that is where I got the part number from.

Last edited:

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Jim.
My condenser inlet and outlet are on the left side, which means that my buddy's hoses won't work..I don't think. He had it on his Cutlass Cruiser with a SBC in it. I'll have to ask him again. He went back to using an Olds engine.

Thanks for the information on the condenser. The price isn't bad. Are you also going to replace the evaporator?
Yeah, the Sanden compressor is a favorite among streetrodders, probably because it's more efficient and doesn't rob horsepower. I remember when my A6 was hooked up, when I turned the A/C on, it was like applying the brakes.

Specifically, what type of vehicles used this type of condenser?

Last edited:

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Thanks Jim.
My condenser inlet and outlet are on the left side, which means that my buddy's hoses won't work..I don't think. He had it on his Cutlass Cruiser with a SBC in it. I'll have to ask him again. He went back to using an Olds engine.

Thanks for the information on the condenser. The price isn't bad. Are you also going to replace the evaporator?
Yeah, the Sanden compressor is a favorite among streetrodders, probably because it's more efficient and doesn't rob horsepower. I remember when my A6 was hooked up, when I turned the A/C on, it was like applying the brakes.

Specifically, what type of vehicles used this type of condenser?

If you go with your buddies system, you could get the same condenser I have, moving yours from the left to the right.

I had 2 evaporators, and flushed the best looking one. Both were known good and didn't leak. I had searched around, and various other forums, and couldn't find a newer style evaporator that would work. I have replaced/are replacing everything else.

The 3rd Camaro used the condenser, but I actually just ordered one for the 87 grand national, it was the part number I was looking for.

SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT 74013 (7-4013) A/C Condenser Parallel flow unit $ 87.79

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Jim.
Just another thing to add to the list of "to-do's". I guess when you mentioned guys using it that condenser on their GN's, I should have immediately thought about using one for a GN...sorry about that. Sometimes the light's on but nobody's home.
Also, thanks for the part #.
I suppose my buddy's hoses could be modified to use the newer condenser, if I choose to go with the R4 compressor. I notice that the price of the Sanden is very close to the price of the GM R4. I guess I'll have to compare the prices of using one or the other.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
This looks like a good solution for me as well - I am using a Camaro serpentine setup and the compressor and condenser inlets are on the passenger side - probably just use Camaro hoses as well, although Caprice ones might also work.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Jack, knowing you, you'll figure it out and it'll be nice.

This looks like a good solution for me as well - I am using a Camaro serpentine setup and the compressor and condenser inlets are on the passenger side - probably just use Camaro hoses as well, although Caprice ones might also work.
You probably could go with the Camaro hoses also, since your accessories would be from one, I bet it would be a drop in solution for you. Well, you may have to tweek the lines a bit.

Last night I was working on the PTFE lines for the hydroboost. I won't be adding the cooler right now, but after paint I will bend the lines and add it in. I'll get some pictures uploaded soon.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Just bought some MSD 50 lb/hr injectors for it. It is so much easier to pull the fuel rail off with no front end on the car. So, I'll do it now. The 30's in there aren't go be big enough anyway. I was hoping to have the hydroboost lines done tonight, but the damn fitting for the return port is late, gotta love USPS.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Lookin good, Jim!

Good work patching up your aluminum core support there... must've been a monday or a friday part! lol
I've got one hanging from the ceiling in my garage I've been saving for the 442.
Been pretty tempted to throw it on my wagon while it's apart...

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Thanks Blake, I have a few more pictures to upload of the radiator support. After I fixed all the busted spots, I took a flap wheel to it to get it flat, then a scothbrite disc on my wizard to smooth it out. After blasting and powder coat it hopefully will look like Scotts.:banana:

Last night I finished adding the circuits to the headlight harness C100 connector, and had to make some improvements to the power steering reservoir bracket for stability.

Tonight, I have to repair a seeping SS brake line from the master to the proportioning valve, and I should have the return fitting for the hydroboost so I can finish the lines.

Then, if I have a some time, I have to modify the cruise servo bracket. Pisses me off since a lot of this stuff was already primed and painted, now I have to redo it all.

I'll add pics of the brackets I made when they are all done and mounted on the inner fender, but without the crap on them and with the crap one them.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor