BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Haven't gotten too much done lately, between the Denali transmission fiasco, the daughters 03 Monte SS P0300 repairs , and work, progress has been slow.

But, I did pick up 8 LS truck coils, and the interface for the coil on plug ignition. I just have to get new wire ends for the brand new wires to fit the coils. I am also searching for a cheap set of stock valve covers to modify to mount the coils on. I sealed up all the HVAC duct and got that installed. The wiring is done to the final stage of the build. Things like acc'y ports, the dash switches, etc.

This weekend I'll be shooting out to my cousins to do some metal work on his 69 Cuda. So I'll snap a few pics.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
No real update on my stuff, hopefully some progress this week to get it back on the ground to start fitting body panels again.

I have for the past 2 weekends helping my cousin and his 69 Cuda. 3 Floor pans, subframe connectors, torque boxes, and rear spring relocation.

Here are a few pics:

IMG_20150329_140953.jpg IMG_20150329_141004.jpg

There is some dressing up of the welds. I have minitubs to do and quarter panels yet. But he will be media blasting the bottom and inside of the floors.

Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Received my Coil on Plug (CnP) conversion board for the TYPE II ignition system, I also picked up some 6.0 coils with brackets and plugs. I started to make a bracket to bolt to the valve cover, but it is ultimately not good looking, so I went the route of everyone else and started to mount them to the valve covers. Thanks BobR from www.dynamicefi.com for the tips and info.

Here is a quick pic after getting a few holes done, I'll snap some more pictures later.

IMG_20150331_224629.jpg

Since I have all the factory wire looms and the like, the passenger and drivers valve covers with have the coils mounted differently, but it should look good.

Last edited:

bishop gp

Greasemonkey
Jan 1, 2015
Evansville,IN
Re: 81 Century/GN Wagon Update 12/16/14 Electrical and stuff

Thanks, This is like a Grand BOP wagon, Buick drivetrain, Pontiac/Chevy interior, Olds front end, a bit of Corvette, a mix of all the generals cars. :D :D

Update from the weekend. I managed to get the downpipe built, took some time to get it fitting just right, but I am very pleased with the results.

Here is all the bends in there for the final test fitting, everything is tucked in nice and tight, not like the pipe you buy. This wont hit the AC box, or the lower control arm.

Fitted up to the turbo, my TIG welds weren't the most even, but hey, I don't do it everyday.

Here it is all welded up.

I added an o2 bung at the bottom for my wideband, I forgot to take a picture of that. This pipe is all Stainless, the flange, wastegate puck, o2 bung, bolts, and the pipe, which is a very thick stainless. :D
Add a bit of cadillac and i think youve got it lol

Last edited:

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Add a bit of cadillac and i think youve got it lol
Very true, though the flash-to-pass switch did come in Caddys,haha.

So I finished mounting all the LS Truck coil on the valve covers. I also have the wiring all done, though I don't have installed pictures till tonight.

I know this isn't body work, but it is way easier to do when the front clip is off.

Tonight I have to make 2 new small SS brake lines for the master cylinder to the adjustable proportioning valve. I screwed up and plumbed the small reservoir to the front and the large to the rear. Too many adult beverages that day I think. Tomorrow I'll juice up the brakes.

Attachments

• PS Valve Cover 1.jpg
    PS Valve Cover 1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 255
  • DS Valve Cover 1.jpg
    DS Valve Cover 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 254
  • DS Valve Cover 2.jpg
    DS Valve Cover 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 260
Last edited:

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Ok, I have all the coils mounted, the interface is on, all the wiring is done for the conversion. I have to make a cover for the interface yet.
IMG_20150404_115622.jpg
IMG_20150402_175118.jpg
IMG_20150402_175126.jpg

I got the car off of the stands, and starting fitting up the doors and fenders. I have to modify the fenders for the pontiac wheel wells, and also cut in the vents.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Wow! It's looking good, Jim. I'm glad to hear that things are moving along. Is the body back on the frame? *Sorry, stupid question. I see the firewall in the pic behind the engine.
The engine looks really good with the coil packs. I'm sure it will be more efficient.

I'm curious how did you made out with the transmission fiasco?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Yes, body is back on, new body mounts and the whole nine yards. The transmission fiasco is finished up. I went with another builder, and fought to get my money back, though, there was a 20% restocking fee. Very long story. When I have some time to kill, I will type it all out and update my post.

Thanks Blake, I appreciate it.

Over the weekend I blasted and painted the shifter linkages and brackets, fabricated a spacer to go where the stock proportional valve was, juiced up and bled the brakes using some high performance brake fluid. I did have a few persistent leaks, but I expected that with the newly flared stainless steel brake lines.

Then my cousin (with the Cuda) came down and we got the car back on the ground, all four doors mounted and aligned, and then trial fitted the fenders again. Man, new body mounts really help out door gaps. These gaps are great and I am super pleased with them.

Yesterday I took the drivers side fender and had some rust repair, then some custom touches to incorporate. I hope over the week I can get the passenger side done, then modify the Pontiac inner wheel wells.

They both still need to be stripped and/or blasted. I need to hump!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Sounds like you made a lot of headway. It feels good when you see more and more of a project coming together...seeing the doors mounted, etc. Good to see a lot more progress underway.. . New body mounts make a world of difference in ride firmness and of course door gaps and panel fit.
Keep on truckin'.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor