BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Re: 81 Century/GN Wagon Update 12/16/14 Electrical and stuff

Then I moved onto the exhaust. I ordered a Stainless Cat hanger from GBody parts, along with some new dome light door pins (nice pieces). The hanger is a really nice fabricated piece, fit perfect and is stainless! I needed this to hang the front of the intermediate pipe, There are stainless hangers after the mufflers and on the tailpipes. I have to buy a 4 bolt flange from RJC racing to build the stainless "test" pipe (there is a rusty steel one in there now). I have a Stainless flex joint to put in there. Since the exhaust is mounted pretty firm, the flex should help keep rattles at bay.

Here are the door pins.

CAM00183.jpg

Intermediate pipe flange hanger

CAM00180.jpg

A few pictures of the exhaust all mounted up.

CAM00193.jpg

CAM00194.jpg

CAM00195.jpg

I did straiten out the band clamps. I needed to be able to access to the bolts with a torque wrench, the spec was 50 ft/lbs.

Hopefully this week I can finish the fuel system, and get started on the hydroboost hoses.

Last edited:

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Re: 81 Century/GN Wagon Update 12/22/14 Downpipe and Exhaust

I hit the local junk yard today, & I lucked out and found a 1984 Pontiac Bonneville sedan. I was able to get the inner wheel wells from it. They are a cross between the Malibu wheel wells and the Buick wheel wells. They are a thicker plastic, and have the braces the tie them into the radiator support. The tire area is squared off and should give me some nice tire clearance too. I will have to modify the Olds fenders a bit, but it is a real easy modification. When I can get some pics it would be easy to see. I also got the fender to rad support braces. I place on taking these and the cowl to fender braces and welding them together to make an X of sorts on each side.

I also got front and rear door panels along with front door pull straps, the emergency brake cable parts that I was missing, along with some other small bits and pieces.
I also took the rear door glass run channel out of it, it is a little stiff, but got it out all in one piece. not sure if I can use the four door glass run channel in a station wagon, but we will soon find out.
I'll take pictures of the stuff tomorrow, and I'll post it.

This Pontiac had power front windows, power locks, power vent windows, & a remote trunk release. It also had the Grand Prix dashboard.

Edited from the computer to clean up the post.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

While out running yesterday, I hit the local Fastenal store and bought 1/2" grade bolts for the rear suspension. The old ones were all rusty, though I did blast and paint them, I didn't want them to rust again. Not only that, but the QP housing had 1/2" holes in the suspension points, I didn't want a bunch of slop in there. And, I needed longer bolts for the Hotchkis control arm braces. So, I bough all the bolts with some washers and nylon lock nuts.

I then went out and tried to finish up the fuel system, making the rest of the PTFE lines. After I finished those up, I primed the fuel pump and found a massive leak at one of the injectors. I took it apart and found I must have nicked an injector o-ring :blam: . So, I have to get some new ones. Glad I ops checked it now, since it is a pain in the *ss to get apart.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

HAFROD said:
And I thought I was a detail junkie :lol: Was gonna say, its going to be awesome, but it already is!
Thanks! I try, I have to keep it in my mind that I will be driving this car everyday, to and from work, rain or shine (no snow). So some things will obviously get beat up pretty quick. I have to pick and choose how overboard I go, :D

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

I haven't been on the computer except for work in a few weeks. This year has really got off to a shitty start :x :x . I don't have a whole lot to update on the wagon just yet. I did order some stuff for it, a new 37 degree flaring tool, so 37 degree seals, some SS 3 bolt flanges for the test pipe, some fluids, brake fluid, power steering, etc.

With the forum not being on tapatalk, I hardly get to visit here.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

After some really bad luck the last few weeks with cars and household appliances, I was finally able to do something on the wagon last night. I finished up my "test" pipe (hate that term for it). It is stainless, with a 3 bolt flange to the DP, a cutout with a 3 bolt flange, and a stainless flex joint. All 3" and stainless. I have to hit the SEARS hardware and get some stainless nuts and bolts to put it in permanently.

No pics since the SD card on my phone took a sh*t. Good thing I backed up the 700+ :eek: pictures that were on it. I have a new SD card coming tomorrow from amazon (love that place) and I'll take a few finished pics.

Tonight I will put in the min starter and begin on redoing the flares on the 1/2" SS fuel line to the rail to fix some leaks.

Last edited:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis

Sucks about your rough start to the year...
Glad to hear you're back at it!

I didn't care for tapatalk at all when I tried it...
Is it different on other devices?
I like that the site is the same on my computer and my phone.
My only complaints are that I can't upload pics direct from the phone and I miss a real keyboard... :lol:

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Blake442 said:
Sucks about your rough start to the year...
Glad to hear you're back at it!

I didn't care for tapatalk at all when I tried it...
Is it different on other devices?
I like that the site is the same on my computer and my phone.
My only complaints are that I can't upload pics direct from the phone and I miss a real keyboard... :lol:

I really have to hump on the mechanical/electrical so I can get to fixing the fenders and tucking the bumpers. This thing needs to be running and all the welding done so I can get it in paint at the end of April. Ughh, it's gonna be tight.

I love the tapatalk. The latest version is the best so far. Easy to post, easy to upload pics. the site does look the same on my phone as the computer, but I am still viewing the desktop version which is kind of a pain in the *ss to navigate on the smaller phones.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Jim,
I'm glad to see you back at it. Sorry to hear that your year started on a sour note. I'm sure you'll make your deadline. You amaze me with the amount of progress you've made so far.
Hang in there buddy.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor