81 Oldsmopile ( G-body rust repair )

Status
Not open for further replies.

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
Im pretty sure they are just run of the mill 70s/80s passenger car rims and the caps come from 69/70 cutlass I think, or maybe all Oldsmobiles. I just have one so unless I can find a full set ill have to run baby moons. Tires are 225/60 front and 245/60 rear bf T/As.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Incredible build. I still need to read through it on my desktop.

So, it looks like maybe all the 4 door G's have the short front frame horns.
So, the Malibu, Grand Am, Lemans, Grand Lemans, Bonneville and other 4 doors have the shorter front frame.

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
Welp I've gotten a little lazy, haven't touched the olds for about a month until this past week. I finished up welding all the missing corners and holes on the shell, and also fabbed up some seat belt mounts for the rear that disappeared with the original floor. I installed new balljoints and bushings in the front control arms, and painted all of the front suspension pieces. I also made myself a beach beside the shop.

IMG_4123.jpg

Finally managed to sand blast the frame. I bought 4 bags thinking that would be enough, well half way through the 2nd bag it was very clear I would need more. Ended up using 8x80kg bags. Washed all the sand out and end started painting. I used some cheap foam rollers to get most of it, and foam brushes to get inside. Used a whole quart of POR15 to do 2 coats.

IMG_4129.jpg

IMG_4131.jpg

IMG_4133.jpg

Hopfully I can start running brake and fuel lines this week, gonna build them outta the fancy CN4/Nicopp/Cuniffer stuff. If not Im going to attempt to build a tip over jig so I can start on the bottom of the body. My hope is to have the frame in a rolling status and the body bedlined and bolted on by the end of august.

Attachments

• IMG_4001.jpg
    IMG_4001.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 224
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Frame is looking good for sure! I love POR 15, my brother n law and I use it on all kinds of things. My cutlass i believe has boatloads of it, great product and great result if the prep process is followed! Keep up the great work, i have followed your thread since the beginning. Myself along with others here are sure to stay tuned!
Scott.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Nice beach! Now all you need are some palm trees!
All kidding aside, more great work. Like injectedcutty, I've been following this one. Keep up the good work and updates.
BTW, where are you sourcing the conifer tubing?

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
I called around today and found it at most auto parts stores, Im going to pick up 25 feet of 3/16 for $46 and 1/4 for $64 at an Auto Choice here in Fredericton tomorrow, I draw the line at $94 for 3/8 fuel line tho. Ill get the normal coated stuff from were ever since I only need about 10' and I figure fuel isn't as important as brakes.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Local pepboys has Nicopp for $50 a 25' roll (3/16" or 1/4"). At the swap meets, bigger vendors online, and a small autoparts store now closed up used to sell it for $25.

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
So this weekend I started to run brake lines. The axle is done, and the front 2 are done just need to get some clamps. Ran into a dilemma with the rear tho, my combo valve is basically a lump of rust and it seams as though the rear output threads is larger then the standard 1/4 brake line nut. So im going to wait until I get a new valve before I flare the line, since I fear a replacement may use the standard size.

IMG_4139.jpg
IMG_4137.jpg
IMG_4142.jpg

Here you can see how close I came too starting a new line, if id been 2" shorter it wouldn't have made it

IMG_4141.jpg

It was my first time using this type off brake line, and I have to say it was supper easy and nice to work with. I used my hands to bend most of it only using a tube bender to make the 180s. My only gripe is that its almost too soft so making a continuous 6' long run it would always wanna fold over under its weight

Reactions: 2 users

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
Since I needed more parts and fuel line, and I wasn't getting paid any time soon I found some inspiration online and started to build the tip over jig to keep busy. For less then $40 I was able to build this redneck rotisserie so i can clean up and paint the under side of the floors.

Front

IMG_4149.jpg

Back

IMG_4148.jpg

Top support to keep it off its side

IMG_4160.jpg
IMG_4159.jpg

Some trunk bracing since its missing the quarters and i didn't want it to shift

IMG_4162.jpg

And with the help of some friends

IMG_4165.jpg

Now the fun can start, scrapping off all the years of grime and under coat. Thanks for all the support from you guys and gals on this forum. Sometimes the fun part is coming home and uploading all this hard work to share with everyone.

Reactions: 9 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor