81 Oldsmopile ( G-body rust repair )

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Awesome Mack! I liked using that nickel/copper line too, great stuff. I also researched that jig you made too, never ended up making one but cool to see someone here do it.
Was it sketchy at all or pretty smooth deal?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Since I needed more parts and fuel line, and I wasn't getting paid any time soon I found some inspiration online and started to build the tip over jig to keep busy. For less then $40 I was able to build this redneck rotisserie so i can clean up and paint the under side of the floors.

Front

View attachment 53050

Back

View attachment 53049

Top support to keep it off its side

View attachment 53052 View attachment 53051

Some trunk bracing since its missing the quarters and i didn't want it to shift

View attachment 53053

And with the help of some friends

View attachment 53054

Now the fun can start, scrapping off all the years of grime and under coat. Thanks for all the support from you guys and gals on this forum. Sometimes the fun part is coming home and uploading all this hard work to share with everyone.
Man, I wish I had that kind of creativity. Awesome work!

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I know that other people here have already said it, but Mack, you are one serious talented and creative individual. The brake work looks great, and that homemade rotisserie is pretty cool as well. You should post some instructions on how to do that in the knowledge base section of the site. Keep up the great work, updates and photos.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
The brake work looks great, and that homemade rotisserie is pretty cool as well. You should post some instructions on how to do that in the knowledge base section of the site. Keep up the great work, updates and photos.

That rotisserie is awesome. I would love to have plans for that when I get the body off of my cutlass. Is the wood all screwed right to the body?

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
Ya she was a little creeky and nerve racking when it went over, but it feels pretty solid when I shake it. When its back right side up ill take some better pics of how I mounted it. Its attached to the lower door hinge mounts on the front and bolted through the reverse light holes in the rear, seen it done that way with a cutlass on a rotisserie. So figured it was good enough for me, and it allows access to paint the rear body mounts.

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
So After what felt like an eternity wire wheeling and grinding, I managed to remove all the paint and under coating from the floor of the car. Which by the way kudos to any of you that have done this on your back under a car, I was covered head to toe in metal dust and grime. To have that fall on me if I was on my back under neath the damn thing, Im too soft to do it that way. After the wire wheel thrashing I found some more spots that needed to be replaced. So I rolled in the parts car to cut it up.

Wish the floors in the cutlass looked this good. I cut out the driver side floor, the spare tire well a section of the passanger fuel tank support and the driver lower fender mount.

IMG_4187.jpg

IMG_4198.jpg
IMG_4200.jpg
IMG_4197.jpg

Here is what it looked like this mourning after jamming all night scuffing it up and bleeding some por15 into the seams and on some pitted areas.

IMG_4207.jpg

And after some Epoxy Primer

IMG_4208.jpg

Then a spattering of seam sealer

IMG_4210.jpg

and finally some bedliner.... well half way. Got the back half and wheel wells.

IMG_4212.jpg

I had a feeling half a gallon wasn't enough. Im going to call in the mourning and see if they can get me another kit sooner then later. Since theres only enough to coat a wheel barrow I might get 2 this time. And check out my sweet rig for shootin the stuff. The shutz gun didn't have the same fitting as the regulator, so I improvised.

IMG_4211.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Looking good mack!!!! I am one of those guys that did the underbody while lying on my back wire wheeling, scraping, grinding, etc. It absolutely sucked a$$ but the end result was worth it. I actually just posted some pics on my 87 cutlass efi build thread over the weekend of doing that if you wanna check em out, pg. 5 about halfway down. I did mine several years back but forgot to post about it.
POR15 is awesome stuff and works when used right, a little pricey but you get what you pay for!
Love the progress, keep it coming!
Scott

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Looks great, so glad I have a rotisserie, it made my body restoration so much easier.

Reactions: 1 user

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
Yay. The underside is done, It only took 2 and a third bed liner kits. Im sure a more experienced person could get a way with 2 kits. Im really happy how it turned out, it hides all the ugly welds and hardened to a nice tough coating.

IMG_4249.jpg

I also ran some fuel lines and and built this little bracket to hold the cheap fuel pump. Used a chunk of exhaust and clamp on some plate. Im going to mount it on the frame in front of the passenger rear spring.

IMG_4232.jpg
IMG_4237.jpg

• Creative
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor