81 regal charging issues NEED HELP ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChevyRidinHigh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2012
Mission BC, Canada
Hi, I am having weird issues with my 81 regal has the 267 v8. I just put a new starter in, everythings hooked up the way it should be.
I drive all day no issues, park it for say 10 - 15 mins , come back and it wont start like the battery just died, but nothings running with the car off.
jumped it ran fine, started fine after that, then next morning nothing. Needed to put battery on a charger because it ended up being too dead to even jump it.
So ran and bought a new battery, now its having issues turning over after a day and a half of being in the car
. Not sure what could be draining the battery in that short amount of time. After the first battery died a few times
I have made sure to turn everything off, even the heater lol.
Any help with this would be great as it never did it before until i changed the starter. is there supposed to be a washer inbetween a certain wire on the area where the battery cable connects to on the starter aswell as the 2 other wires :S. Its daily driver and need it to get to and from work. Help by tonight would be greatly appreciated so i can fix it first thing in the morning.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
charge the battery and then remove the negative terminal. Put a test light in between the negative battery terminal and and the negative battery wire. If there is no draw then there should be no light on on the tester. If the light is on then remove one fuse at a time and see if the light is out after you pull a fuse. If the light goes out after you pulled a fuse then that is the circuit that is drawing power. It could be the new starter has a defective solenoid

ChevyRidinHigh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2012
Mission BC, Canada
pontiacgp said:
charge the battery and then remove the negative terminal. Put a test light in between the negative battery terminal and and the negative battery wire. If there is no draw then there should be no light on on the tester. If the light is on then remove one fuse at a time and see if the light is out after you pull a fuse. If the light goes out after you pulled a fuse then that is the circuit that is drawing power. It could be the new starter has a defective solenoid

Thanks , i will do that first thing in the morning, Much appreciated. Never thought to do that lol.

ChevyRidinHigh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2012
Mission BC, Canada
fleming442 said:
Sounds more like a dead alternator to me. Verify proper voltage while running. It should be at least 13.7v; 14.4v is optimum.

Alternator is good. Its charging battery wile driving. If it sits turned off it dies. Alternator is good. That's. First thing I checked.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Agreed :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor