83 Buick Regal Estate Wagon 5.3 LS, bagged

vandall

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2015
Seattle, WA
Having the perfect spot for a hidden system, I didn't know if it would fit until I could physically place the components in there.. bam! It fit perfect, even having too much room leftover but maybe I'll figure something else to jam in there in the future. The other trick to getting it to look OK was to figure out where and how to mount the much-bigger-than-I-assumed control and gauge panel. It's pretty deep. Eventually I settled on something like the box that lowriders tend to use, except to anchor it to something and try to make it look somewhat stock.

I got a new audio set up as the old speakers could barely put out any sounds.. they were toast and I'd like to make the car more functional and future proof. So I got a nice Pioneer digital only receiver with radio, too. And some decent speakers.. more on this later, but I had to cut in to the upper dash panel a little to make the small speakers fit properly, but once in place they are solid. I was worried the rears might be too heavy for the old plastic pegs to hold, but they seem good.

And then we started cutting in to the suspension to mount the air bags.. turns out the fronts are easier to do than the rears (at least on this wagon).You have to remove quite a bit of material around the old spring hat to make certain nothing touches the bags when they are fully inflated. This is the no-going-back part.

IMG_5220-XL.jpg

the old panel instructions are still intact

IMG_5221-XL.jpg

tank fits nicely

IMG_5223-XL.jpg

you can see the Lokar adjustable shift part on the trans, which we would ditch for the stock set up. Who needs to buy a discount Lokar shift kit?! :eek:

IMG_5224-XL.jpg

was contemplating using a plastic cup holder, which would be cool, but it was too shallow

IMG_5226-XL.jpg

final fitting of the new clamshells

IMG_5228-XL.jpg

sweeeeet

IMG_5229-XL.jpg

the old man fabbed up a cool little control box

IMG_5230-XL.jpg

we will tack it to the underside where it goes over the hump.. be careful! this can easily start a fire!

IMG_5233-XL.jpg

you can see the cut line we drew - this is the outside, the inside also needs to be hacked up

IMG_5237-XL.jpg

ugly firewall being prepped, holes filled, etc

IMG_5240-XL.jpg

ta-dah

IMG_5243-XL.jpg

you can't really see up there, but the fingers that hold the spring in place need to be removed, plus we had to take out some extra once we figured out it was contacting the air line valve

Hoopty_Mike

Greasemonkey
Aug 5, 2012
CT
Honestly I think you're overthinking the fuel system. I have no idea weather wagons are a car or el camino style tank (or their own for that matter). But what i've done is order a tbi sending unit for that body style and tank size and then order a walbro 255 with a universal install kit. Install the walbro on the tbi sending unit and you're done. Run your feed and return with AN 6 lines straight to the rail and back to the feed and return on the sending unit at the tank. Put a filter in the feed and your vent tube where you may please. Can use real AN fittings or just good fuel injection clamps. AN fuel hose isn't that bad when you buy in bulk but I prefer the black nylon stuff. It's what I run on my c10 swap and what I will run in my el camino swap. If it's an el camino style tank you might be just want to mod the stock sender as i've been unable to find TBI sending units for the el caminos and have no idea if the monte ones will work.

vandall

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2015
Seattle, WA
Honestly I think you're overthinking the fuel system.

Yeah I most definitely have overthought it.. I wish I had experience in setting up custom FI systems but going in to it with little knowledge caused a lot of headaches. I'm not sure if I could have got the correct TBI unit for my tank, but that is a great idea. I know that a lot of people just cut the original pick up line and put an inline pump and then cut and put the original pick up back on.. honestly that may have worked better. Like I mentioned before the system as it currently is is not optimal and I'll probably be upgrading somehow in the future. The shape at least on my wagon is much more square than flat rectangle that most cars use.

vandall

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2015
Seattle, WA
Onward and downward! :) If the front bag installs were tricky, it's cake compared to the rear. These cars may have slightly different geometry because in the instructions it sounds super easy.. but in reality it took some ingenuity to make everything work. The spring perch on the rear end sits way too close to the axle tube to slip a bolt in there, let alone get a wrench on it.. and the upper is also too close to work the connector on as well. So, we had to tack the bolt head to the tube to hold it in place. Then we spun the bag on that (it doesn't have to be torqued, it's just to hold it down). And the tops required lifting the body slightly which of course damaged the rear bumper fillers because we were lazy and didn't fully disassemble the rear bumper, etc.. I got the fronts from gbodyparts but still need to order rears eventually. Pics...

IMG_5253-X2.jpg

too close for comfort

IMG_5256-X2.jpg

also no room to work

IMG_5268-X2.jpg

there's also a big washer plate that goes under the perch

IMG_5277-X2.jpg

much better already

IMG_5280-X2.jpg

finishing parts in chassis black

IMG_5284-X2.jpg

laying down some white which of course is much brighter than the original paint.. someday maybe I'll repaint.. maybe

IMG_5286-X2.jpg

no turning back!

IMG_5289-X2.jpg

checking fit

IMG_5293-X2.jpg

tacking and hammering.. of course THIS spot will end up being a problem area for leaks

IMG_5296-X2.jpg

custom control box is taking shape

IMG_5298-X2.jpg

first round done

IMG_5300-X2.jpg

final fit with the painted firewall.. of course it touched somewhere - it's inevitable

Reactions: 2 users

vandall

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2015
Seattle, WA
Not sure that I talked much about it, but for the aftermarket HVAC system I wanted to make that right.. since it's not typically hot here I wanted to revert it to the stock heater-only system. I luckily found someone parting out a 79 Malibu with the complete intact heater system from the control panel to all plastic ducting and the fan/core housing. I jumped on it and one very awkward ferry ride later I had all the parts for the swap. Unfortunately the dealer had hacked up the car something awful so not everything is fully functional such as the vents. They had cut those cables directly under the steering column so I'm not sure I will ever be able to find that replacement panel and controls fully intact. We removed a lot of the wiring harness they had integrated as well.

Here are some of the latest photos of the project.

IMG_5305-XL.jpg

testing the air bag system.. turns out I needed to replace the push in valves in the manifold as the tank slowly loses air over a couple days period

IMG_5309-XL.jpg

I used the stock trans dipstick tube but it rubs very hard on the firewall.. I still need to bend it to relieve that pressure

IMG_5311-XL.jpg

it fits really nice with plenty of room without all the accessories

IMG_5314-XL.jpg

only had to cut out a little plastic to clearance the foam lip on the front speakers...

IMG_5315-XL.jpg

...and used only 3 bolts due to the space not allowing that outside corner to fit right.. since I used small bolts with nylock nuts I made sure they were solidly mounted

IMG_5316-XL.jpg

this was one fix that concerned me. Over the years the plastic(!) mount surface that the parking cable brake clips on to had become broken an unusable

IMG_5317-XL.jpg

we used JB weld and just kept working it to get a nice flat mount that was the correct circumference. It's holding well for now

IMG_5318-XL.jpg

gutted for hopefully the last time, or at least a long time

IMG_5319-XL.jpg

coming together now.. we used half of the stock computer case to create kind of a pedestal mount to bolt on the inner fender

IMG_5320-XL.jpg

wiring and fuses, relays, etc

IMG_5321-XL.jpg

here's the new quick ratio steering box :twisted:

IMG_5322-XL.jpg

it actually looks pretty stock in there.. most people probably have no idea what's up

• Useful
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor