83 cutlass build, what wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightluss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2010
so im getting pretty far on my 83 cutlass, but i need some wheels. so heres the look im going for. black, black, black, with a little white to pop. im going to run 4 cragar soft 8's. and for a tire, i wanted a raised white letter tire. probably going with the goodyear eagle GT2.

-dilemma # 1. i have 2 soft 8's already, 15x8 but im not sure of the backspacing. they worked on my previous set-up, but i dont remember what backspacing i ordered. i was thinking of getting 2 more soft 8's but not sure what backspacing i should get.

-dilemma #2. suspension. i have a stock rear end housing, with moroso trick springs in the rear. and for the front my suspension is completely stock except for eibach 1'' lowering springs. this is a problem because i dont know what tire will fit up front now, with a small block under the hood.

i cut the inner lip out of the wheel well in the rear, and i removed the fender wells from the engine bay, but theres still a body panel that would rub on the tire. i want to have a slightly staggered stance, and try to tuck in the front with a larger tire in the rear, but i wanted to run 15x8 all the way around. so basically my questions are:

what backspacing to get for the rear wheels?
what tire size for the rear?
most importantly, what tire size for the front?

thanks for reading guys.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I must've missed this thread earlier...

I just put a set of Soft 8's on my buddy SquirrelMaster28's GN shown in the thread 3XBrownCutty linked to.

The fronts are 15x7, and the rears are 15x8. Both have 4" of backspacing.

Front tires are 235/60R15.
Rear tires are 255/70R15.

We were going to get 255/60's, but they were back-ordered everywhere we tried, so we just went the 255/70's instead.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
255/70's would fit on a 7"wheel right?? its just a little more sidewall if i remember correctly..

Lightluss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2010
thats the look im going for, and that GN looks awesome. the only thing im concerned with is this:

i had 255's on a 16'' wheel in the rear, and had absolutely no problems. now with a 15'' wheel i think i could gor for a tiny bit bigger tire?? but those 255's on that car look great, and fill up the wheel well nice. so im confused about the rear.

now about the front those tires look to be a perfect size, but i have 1'' lowering springs in the front. basically what i want to know is what can i fit in the front now that its lowered?

thanks guys

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I'd go with a slightly smaller tire in the front, all you can really do is try i guess. if those 15x8's have the correct backspacing, you could probablly fit 275s

Lightluss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2010
275 in the front?? maybe the rear, yeah. my concern is with the front. i think maybe a 235 will be a little too big?? maybe a 225?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor