'83 Cutlass Cruiser Build Thread

Been debating adding the vinyl woodgrain trim around the car once it's painted. Should I do it?

• Yes, that wagon needs woodgrain

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No, leave that wagon smooth and simple.

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jack,
I welded on studs with my uni-spotter back before I sprayed any primer.

Started off today installing the new outer window felts.
Had to redrill all the holes and reshape the ends... Also had to trim them for the vents.
Still not 100% satisfied with the results but **** it. Good enough.
Once those were in I cleaned up and installed both vent windows.
Decided to reuse my old window channels rather than piece together new material.
Need to find one for the RF door, since the original broke apart when I took it out.
I started on the weather stripping and got the left rear door done. I'll do the rest tomorrow.
Blake,
Sorry man, I forgot that you welded in the studs...much better results.

Regarding the window channels, the forward/ top piece is fairly easy to match, it's the upright piece parallel to the B pillar that no one reproduces.
Hopefully, you can reuse those pieces without any problems. It's amazing how brittle they become over the years.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Blake442
Fantastic progress! Do you need a working vacation in sunny New Mexico? I would welcome an experienced hand guiding me in replacing the window felts and glass channels, plus repairing the tailgate locking/latching mechanism. Of course, I'll have to wait until you get your wagon back together, first...

All expenses paid? lol I'll come put together whatever you want!
I got laid off a couple weeks ago, so I've got plenty of free-time!
That's why I've been able to get so much done on mine...

The more I look at the window felts, the more obvious it is that I need to pull the windows back out and get them fitting properly.
All I need to do is slot the holes more, I guess I just got impatient after all the time I had already spent on them...
Yesterday I buttoned up my gate cable fiasco, and then spent a bunch of time cleaning up the 1/4 glass to get it ready to install.
When I got home I ordered up more clips for the 1/4 window moldings and my carpet had been delivered too.
My goal for this week is to get everything ready for the glass to go in... we'll see how far I get...

Southwest Airlines has fare sales. We shall see.
Meanwhile, Fairchild Industries sells 'Glass Run Channel'. Here is a snip from their product page. While you have one pulled from the car, check the see if anything Fairchild offers might be a near-match. You'd have to miter and glue the corners. I have this vague notion that the one in the lower left corner looks like the G-body material...perhaps you could give them a call....

http://afproducts.automotivefairchi...rstrip-trim-seal-products/glass-run-channels?
Glass Run Channel.JPG

Eh, at this point I'd rather have a used piece for the RF so it matches the other 3 doors.

Today I spent some more time on the front window felts.
The rears weren't as bad, and I didn't feel like taking the glass and vents out again... so I left them.
For the fronts, one window is still out, and the other I just lowered the stop, so it wasn't an issue.
I had to do a lot of trimming around the ends, and a lot of bending but I managed to make them a little better.
I'm still not very happy with them. They just don't fit the door properly. Oh well, I'm stuck with em...
After that I cleaned up the beaded trim piece that slides below the lower 1/4 window trim along the beltline.
I'm going to try buttering it up with a heavy layer of plasti-dip to try and replicate the o.e. material.
If it works, awesome! If it turns out shitty, I'll just leave them off the car...
If I could find some bulk material I could easily make my own, I just don't know of a source.
Tomorrow I'll re-shoot the black pieces and make sure everything else is ready to rock for the glass to be installed.

Worked on some smaller bits today.
Finished up spraying the Plasti-Dip on the garnish bead pieces. Hopefully it turns out not shitty...
Then I scuffed and resprayed the black trim pieces. Much better.
After that I polished up the marker lite lenses and masked and repainted the silver around the edge.
Happy with that I did that same for the license plate lite.
My repop plate bucket was short shot along the bottom/most visible edge, so I had to mask and respray the black on that as well.
It looks shiny in the pic because it was still wet...

996993_10156705245920387_1161388159482880401_n.jpg

Reactions: 88hurstolds
Today I finished getting all of my windshield and 1/4 window trim ready to go.
Once my clips show up I'm ready to rock. I'll call the glass guy tomorrow and have him order the windshield.
After that I cleaned up the drip-rail trim pieces the best I could and installed them.
I wish I had the money to get all the aluminum bits re-anodized, but it's just too expensive...
Earlier this week I ordered up my headliner material, so I got started stripping the old material off.
I got the smaller rear portion done and called it a day. I'll do the big part tomorrow.

Blake,
It's good to see that the car is coming together. The quarter window bead strips actually have a rubberized type coating on them, much like Plasti-dip. It's definitely worth a try.
I ended up leaving those strips off. One was in good shape, the others were kinda salt corroded.
I wonder if there is a source for them in bulk, like the window sweeps. I would even consider a rubber or plastic strip that has a similar bead which would continue with the window sweep bead.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor