'83 Cutlass Cruiser Build Thread

Been debating adding the vinyl woodgrain trim around the car once it's painted. Should I do it?

• Yes, that wagon needs woodgrain

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No, leave that wagon smooth and simple.

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It looks great, man.
The missing bead strips don't detract from the appearance. I'm content living without them.
Love the color...good choice.

Reactions: Blake442
Got the rear seat, rear cargo area carpet and drivers seat installed today.
I also wiped the dust off it...

12928169_10156766279070387_899806156615625777_n.jpg

12670353_10156766284585387_6924311089452229805_n.jpg

1794667_10156766285650387_690869854534061382_n.jpg

942235_10156766286720387_4358454490546874194_n.jpg

Great to see the glass back in it. It's not a shell anymore. It's a car again. When are you going to take it off the shop wheels and put it's wheels back on it? Love the color. All your hard work has really paid off. Can't wait to hear when you are back behind the wheel!

Looks like it will be ready for show season Blake. I was behind the last few pages so got caught up on your thread. What are you doing on your windshield outer aluminum anodized trim, drip mouldings, etc.? I tried multiple ways to remove the anodizing on my Salons parts but nothing worked. I ended up buffing mine on my bench buffer like I did on the stainless trim for my 55. It shined it up nice. I actually used the green rouge for stainless on the anodized aluminum trim. Light scratches I wet sanded with 1500.

Blake, the progress on your thread is like watching the kids grow up. Beautiful work. Might need to make that road trip after all.

Thanks you guys! It's fun to see it go back together!

Plenty more work to do before I can throw the aluminum slots back on it.
Up front I still need to blow apart the steering and suspension and overhaul everything, not to mention the cleaning... ugh
Out back my wide rear tires really fill up the wheel wells, so I can't do the woodgrain or get the moldings on with them in the way.
It's just easier to leave the donuts on there for now... I also need to buy new tires for the fronts....

As for my aluminum moldings, I just cleaned them all up and threw them back on as-is... Having them re-dipped is too expensive.
My windshield and A-pillar trim came off my old Malibu wagon and though it's far from perfect, it's still brite and presentable.
New windshield trim is available for coupes ($$$!) but not wagons/sedans...
The anodizing on the other drip-rail pieces is hazy and oxidized, but I can put some elbow grease into them at another time...
With the upper piece being over 9 feet long and very delicate, it's easier and safer to mess with them mounted in place.
Back when I was restoring trim all the time, if I came across anything coated I would just sand it off... Haven't tried any other methods.
Lindsay was telling be about some POR-15 product for aluminum that is supposed to protect it once the anodized coating is removed.
I figured I'd let him try it and then I'll see how I like it... lol

Yesterday I picked out a pin-striping tape that I liked to use around the boarder of the woodgrain.
I also ordered up a new rear bumper. RockAuto has new bumpers for half of what it would cost me to re-chrome my original.
New rub-strips are available for like $130, so I decided to ditch the rub-strip and got a smooth one.
Unfortunately I'll still have to pony up the big bucks to re-chrome the front...

I'll probably spend this coming week on the '41 Ford, but I'll get my old rear bumper blown apart in the meantime...

Reactions: 81cutlass
Spent most of the week on the '41...
Should be enough to fund ordering up my woodgrain!

Thursday I put my first chip in the paint on the wagon. 😡😱😳
Cheapy hammer came apart as I was knocking the channels off the old glass for the Ford.
Flew right at the header panel and smacked it almost dead center, right on the edge.
You can actually see the chip in the first picture. Needless to say I was not a happy camper...
Could've been worse, but it also could've been avoided... At least I hadn't already sanded and buffed it!
That's what I get for working so close to the car. I'll fix it later in case I have any more mishaps as the rest of the car is assembled.

When the steam finally stopped shooting out of my ears, I got the rear bumper disassembled.
All the bolts came apart easily and once I wiped off the reinforcement, it looked like new... enough that I'm not even painting it.
Since I'm going without the rub-strip on the bumper I had to order up new bolts that aren't going to be here for a few days.
Can't decide if I want to keep the bumper guards or not... I'll have to stare at it some more.
I'll get my tail lites polished up in the meantime and I can throw it all together later this week.

Tomorrow the glass guy is coming back out to install the windshield.
I guess after my bad one, they had a hard time getting their hands on a good one so it took a few extra days.
Which doesn't bother me, it's not like the thing is going anywhere, but it'll be nice to check it off the list...

Planning on hitting the junkyard on wednesday or thursday, supposed to be 70* and sunny! :banana:

12993389_10156801394685387_3746828410975538244_n.jpg

12923134_10156801400870387_6431701699004425415_n.jpg

12938298_10156801403470387_6327015598405957393_n.jpg

Last edited:
Progress is nice!

Going to Rohners? If you stumble on any G body rear seats in grey worth putting in my 2+2 can you let me know? I think there was some GP's and bonnevilles last time I was there that had doors so not too much water in them. Ive gotta go there this spring too and get some random stuff to piece together the interior on the 2+2.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor