'83 Cutlass Cruiser Build Thread

Been debating adding the vinyl woodgrain trim around the car once it's painted. Should I do it?

• Yes, that wagon needs woodgrain

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No, leave that wagon smooth and simple.

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man I have been slacking, hell of some awesome progress!!

Well getting the windshield put in is turning out to be an ordeal.
Monday guy called in sick. No big deal. It's a small, two-person company so when one is out, the other has to scramble.
Tuesday they open up windsheild #2 to inspect it and that one's bad too... Antenna wires are wavy.
Wednesday they got another windshield, but he threw his back out loading up his truck in the morning...
I'm in no rush so we rescheduled for Tuesday.

My bumper bolts came in the mail so tomorrow I can assemble the rear bumper and fillers.
I decided not to reuse my bumper guards. I like them, but the chrome looks like sh*t next to the nice new bumper.

Today I made my spring-time junkyard run out to Rohner's.
#1 on my list was the RF window channel and I got a decent one out of a Cutlass sedan.
I'll clean it up and throw it in the car along with the door glass tomorrow.
#2 was parking/signal lites, and I only found one that was worth taking.
Luckily they're the same across all '78-'79 Cutlass Supreme, Calais, Salon and wagons so my odds are much better.
I also grabbed a door jamb vent to replace one of mine that was broken.
Lastly I spent some time eye-balling, measuring and comparing bumper shocks.
Rather than pay for another set, I am just going to drill mine open and push them in to where I want them.
A couple tack welds will keep the absorber from moving and a self tapping screw will seal up the hole in the cylinder.

Once the windshield is in next week, the car goes up on stands so I can tear into the front suspension...

Got all my stuff done today that I had hoped to.
First I cleaned up and threw the new window channel in the RF door and then I cleaned up and installed the glass.
The backside of the new bumper was bare, so I shot it with a quick coat of black primer and bolted it to the reinforcement.
I shined up the stainless-capped carriage bolts for the bumper with an old buffing pad and some compound. Turned out good.
With the bumper bolted together, I wiped the dust off the rear bumper fillers and installed them, and then the bumper...
Took a little time to get it mounted without damaging the fillers, then getting it lined up, but everything finally dropped nicely into place.
After admiring my work for a while, I vacuumed up the passenger bucket seat, put it in the car and called it a day.
Hopefully Tuesday I'll get my windshield...

13010836_10156826496670387_1147673209749445512_n.jpg

13010779_10156826496860387_7570921710482609874_n.jpg

12998676_10156826497110387_5313117585154415695_n.jpg

Looks great!

Reactions: Blake442
Finally got the windshield installed today.
Had a hell of a time getting the trim clipping into place...
Which unfortunately led to me getting a little rough with it and adding a couple new dents...
Whatever. I'll just lie and say they were from the hail-storm lol
Guess I can already start a new list for my next junkyard run...

13012802_10156837192055387_2426439702367463017_n.jpg

Reactions: Longroof79
Waiting patiently for completed pictures with fenders and hood!

Its getting close!

Reactions: Blake442
Take a break from that interior/exterior trim and work on your front suspension. It takes more physical effort but it's a lot easier than that 'fiddly' trim. You'll enjoy it. Hang in there. The car looks great.

lookin great Blake! I agree with Texas, take a small break from the little details and tackle the suspension while the front panels are off the car, as it'll be easier to reach everything, and make the fine details enjoyable again when you get back to them.

keep up the great progress, no matter what you work on next!:friday:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor