'83 Cutlass Cruiser Build Thread

Been debating adding the vinyl woodgrain trim around the car once it's painted. Should I do it?

• Yes, that wagon needs woodgrain

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No, leave that wagon smooth and simple.

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Same, less ratchet strap, I run a chain through it and the LCA shock hole..."just in case".

I went with Moog 5600 springs, which are what the catalog shows for a V8 car with no a/c.
Coincidentally, they are also used for V6 cars with a/c... So, essentially the same springs I took out 7 years ago...

Saturday I spent some time on the engine stuff.
Started with getting the wiring harness reinstalled, then replaced the valve cover gaskets, plugs and wires.
Just need to pick up a new starter and I'm good to go.
Today I got the rest of the suspension parts together.
Passenger side was smooth sailing, and my new spring compressor lives to see another day haha...
Need to get a steering box and pitman arm, so I'm holding off on assembling the rest of the steering for now.

Starting to debate whether I should swap in the aluminum core support I have in my parts stash...
So either that will find it's way into the wagon, or I'll just clean up the steel one and give it a fresh coat of paint.
Plenty to do!

13263727_10156944337415387_2363651496785772273_n.jpg

13237851_10156944337720387_6489531956927003782_n.jpg

The aluminum one is nice. Man you are moving right along, I am stalled! Can't wait to see some finished pics!

Reactions: Blake442
Made some more progress today...
My upper control arm bumpers came in, so I popped those apart and got them squeezed in place and buttoned up for good.
Next I had to wrestle the pitman arm off my old steering box... ugh.
The different arm is in the mail for when I grab an 800 series box, but there's no sense in giving away my original when I turn in the core.
After that I cleaned up my rotors and wheel bearings and got them repacked with fresh grease and mounted them on the car.
Decided to call it a day after that since my back has been bothering me and I don't want to push myself too hard.
After trying to avoid stealing from the 442, I guess I'll use the new calipers that I've had on the shelf to wrap up the brakes.
I'll pick up a steering box this week and get all of the steering pieces put together so I can set the car back on the ground.
Once that stuff is out of the way, my only big money items left are the woodgrain and getting my front bumper re-chromed.
Then I can start getting the front clip ready to assemble! :wax: :banana:

More progress from the past week to report...
The core support cleaned up really well, and after two coats of semi-gloss black it looks perfect.
Today I got my 800 series steering box purchased and installed along with a Jeep steering shaft.
After that I put the rest of the steering components together and set the toe good enough to drive 15 miles to the alignment shop.
Still need to replace the brake hoses and flush and bleed the fluid, along with hooking up the power steering hoses and the starter.
Otherwise it's off the stands and back on it's own four tires...
A few more under-hood bits to mess with and I'll start getting the fenders and hood ready to go.

13344514_10156988982925387_3757430762057224095_n.jpg

13315332_10156988983160387_550622589168646925_n.jpg

Man I am so far behind.

Took care of some more bits today...
Cleaned up and painted the support brackets and hardware for the header panel, as well as the wiper linkage and got them all installed.
Still have to hold off a little longer on ordering my woodgrain($$!), but I'll get started on getting the front clip pieces ready in the meantime...

Still left to do...
-Replace brake hoses, hook up power steering hoses and change the oil.
-Woodgrain! Then I can install the outer door handles, mirrors, lock cylinders, license plate pocket and interior door panels.
-Sand and buff fenders and hood.
-Repair the chip I put in the header panel, and re-clear the front bumper filler and rear air deflector.
-Dye the front wheel well tubs and a few other plastic bits.
-Clean up the front bumper reinforcement, have the outer pieces re-chromed and reassemble.
-Straighten and polish the wheel well moldings.
-Replace the starter that I broke...
-New front tires and wheel alignment.

And that's pretty much all that's left!! :banana: :wax:

Nice progress Blake! Are you gonna use the plastic restorer from Eastwood for the inner wheel wells?

Yes, please do share with us your plans to "dye" the wheel wells. I have one of mine out right now. It cleaned up o.k. (o.k. is code for sucks). I thought about painting it but don't want to get myself in a situation where what I do makes it worse where what ever I spray on there is flaking off or rubbing off every time the tire touches it.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor