'83 Cutlass Cruiser Build Thread

Been debating adding the vinyl woodgrain trim around the car once it's painted. Should I do it?

• Yes, that wagon needs woodgrain

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No, leave that wagon smooth and simple.

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Metallic paints are always tougher to match and blend...temperature, air pressure, and humidity change the way the paint dries, and how metal flakes lay in the paint. Great bodywork will make a crappy paint job look amazing...but bad bodywork will make the perfect paint job look crappy!

Blake, I would have gone the same route with your chip repair! Oh, and I love the classic colour you used on the wagon.

Reactions: Blake442
Thanks you guys!

Got my samples in the mail today...
What do you guys think?
I wish there was more sunlite, but the clouds don't want to cooperate...

14088473_10157335273045387_6918523878828384011_n.jpg

Second from the left is my choice... richer colour. How does it hold up to UV? I'd hate to see it sun fade to a bad pink colour!

Unanimous so far. Second from left was my immediate reaction.

Time for an update!
August was busy, but I was able to at least keep up some progress...
I got a lot done, but not the type of stuff that photographs well, if you know what I mean.
Most of what it boiled down to was that I was too lazy to do my homework as to what I was going to do about the woodgrain...
I needed to pick a color, a material, find a vendor, and see if I even felt comfortable doing it myself or having it done by the pros, etc...
These types of things don't go well with my level of A.D.D., so I simply just put them off until I finally hit the point on the car that I couldn't go any further without the woodgrain. Which is pretty typical for how I do things...
So as you saw, I at least made the first step several weeks ago by getting some samples to stare at for several hours.
Well I made my final decision and ordered the vinyl on friday!
I'm not going to say which shade I picked, other than it is not one of the four samples I posted lol...
Those samples were 3M vinyl, and the amount I need to do the car would've cost almost $700! Yeah, see why I've been dragging my feet?
I ended up finding another brand, that only makes 1 color for less than 1/3 the price. That solves the color choice problem haha!
So instead, I'm getting enough material to do the car plus extra for when I inevitably **** it up, on sale for $140.
Plus $40 for another roll of pinstriping tape, and even if I screw it up so bad that I have to completely redo the whole car, TWICE, I'll still be money ahead of buying the fancy stuff... That's a decision that makes itself!

The only thing I've got for you guys that was picture-worthy is the the freshly sanded and buffed header panel...

14237546_10157461284735387_7487953449285567421_n.jpg

Looks great, Blake!
I don't blame you for not ponying up $700.00 for the 3M vinyl woodgrain. That's too rich for anybody's blood. I'm sure you made the right choice. 3M products are great, but hold on to your wallet.

How is this stuff applied, by heat gun?

Jack, the vinyl is applied dry, then squee-geed down, and then the heat gun activates/cures the adhesive...
Practiced on the flat panels before I tackle the 1/4's and fenders... Got all 5 doors done saturday.
Here's a little teaser for now...

14517628_10157587647350387_8769754049169683620_n.jpg

Looks great Blake! I've been wondering how it's been going for you. I'm glad to see the great progress.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor