'83 Cutlass Cruiser Build Thread

Been debating adding the vinyl woodgrain trim around the car once it's painted. Should I do it?

• Yes, that wagon needs woodgrain

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No, leave that wagon smooth and simple.

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Thanks for the reminder, I'll get registered tomorrow! I gotta sign up for the autocross.

Hopefully you get it back together in time!

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Do it! I'll be ready...

Yesterday I got the other spring trimmed, which is a huge pain in the *ss without an air compressor!
I used my Dremel with it's tiny 1" cutoff wheels for about 2/3's of it, the rest had to be done with a hack saw.
Since I was cutting more than a full coil, the Dremel couldn't fit down between the coils enough to cut thru the whole diameter.
If I had made a preliminary cut, then my final cut, I could've used the Dremel for the whole thing, but cutting twice would have taken just as long.
Oh well, it's over with now... Now comes the fun part (*sarcasm), squeezing the springs back in place...

As far as my teeth go, I'm only in a little pain, which the Dr. said will likely peak today or tomorrow, if I don't have any issues pop up...
The worst part has been not smoking. I LOVE smoking... and I'm not supposed to do it for at least a week. It's been two days.
I'm going to try and use this to help me quit. I don't want to, but I know it's time... I tried 10 years ago and made it 3 days. Bad timing...
Now sitting around the house hasn't really been a big deal, and to ease myself I've just been lighting and holding them in my hand so I can smell it.
Going from about a half a pack a day to zero is not how I wanted to transition away from it, but we'll see how it goes...
I'll admit I rely on them a lot. Working 3rd shift, they help. When I've only gotten 3 hrs. of sleep, they help. Time to relax, they help.
The hardest part will be working in the garage without them, and the ultimate test will be the car show next weekend...

The part I'm looking forward to the most is not giving our wasteful state govt. $6.50 every other day in extra taxes.
That's right, a pack of cigarettes is only about $2.25 or so. The rest is ALL TAX! $8.83 a pack here... and I hear that's pretty cheap!
They can pretend that they want you to quit, but in reality, they can't afford to lose the tax income! They'll fine and tax, but never shut them down!
Got a ridiculous project? We'll have the smokers fund it!
We built an outdoor baseball stadium with cigarette tax money... a $2.50 increase at once! Of course all the non-smokers pitched and voted for it!
Then when it's done, we keep taxing, obviously! Oh, and you can't smoke in our outdoor stadium built with cigarette money, sorry!
Almost 15 years later and I still haven't set foot in Target Field, and I doubt I ever will on the sheer principle of it all... I used to love Twins games...
Sorry, rant over lol a smoke probably would've prevented this hahaha

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Blake, DO IT, QUIT!!!!! The only reason I say it is I've been in your shoes. I smoked a pack+/day for 17ish years, tried quitting several times to no avail. simply because I wasn't ready to quit. Between my wife and I we spent around $300/month on cigs and literally had to budget it in.
It's been about 13 months since we quit cold Turkey and we both feel amazing, except I've packed on a few or 30lbs lol!!! Obviously the first few weeks sucked, but most health insurance plans pay for nicotine patches. I wore them for the first week and that was it. Also, I would cut straws in half and keep them in my lunchbox. Being I drive for work made it extra shitty, so I would just hold the straw in my mouth, and even pretend I was smoking with it.

I knew it was pricier the further north, and our fellow Canadians are really paying for them. Oh, not to mention that when we moved at the end of last year, we were able to buy more house than we thought because of the extra money from not smoking.
I'm rooting for ya man, if not I completely get it.

Also looking forward to seeing the wagon lowered.

Scott

Reactions: 4 users

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Went out to the garage yesterday to hold a cigarette and stare at the car for a few minutes... (5 days since I've smoked!)
Got a bit distracted eyeballing things, one thing led to another, and two hours later...
One down, one to go!

67112370_211947369704317_2488361106200854528_n.jpg

66727327_495902431163546_4023451283296878592_n.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Went out to the garage yesterday to hold a cigarette and stare at the car for a few minutes... (5 days since I've smoked!)
Got a bit distracted eyeballing things, one thing led to another, and two hours later...
One down, one to go!

View attachment 118432

View attachment 118433
Blake, awesome to hear on both fronts man! Keep it up, the wagon will be back on the ground and your lungs are thinking you everyday!

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Stay with it man!!! Awesome work getting this far. I was never a smoker but have a good understanding of how hard it must be, based on family history.

Reactions: 4 users

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Thanks for the support, guys!
6 days now, and though it doesn't feel like it's getting easier yet, at least it's not getting harder...
P.S. I'm never changing my avatar lol

• Haha

Winkernod

Greasemonkey
Sep 13, 2018
London Ontario
When I quit smoking 8 years ago I was ready which helped a lot but I also gave myself a goal of buying a fishing boat. So I started saving the cash I would normally spend in a jar and after about a month of saving I would count it every week and within 6 months I bought a 14 ft with 15 hp Honda and trailer for cash. That was a great incentive and reward. Do whatever it take s to quit. I honestly thought at one time I would never quit either as I was 2 large King size a day

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Keep with it, Blake.
It's hard trying to advocate a non-smoking campaign to a diehard smoker, but as Scott said, your lungs and body will thank you in the long term.
I know people (family members) that have smoked for many years and now have cut the habit. The nicotine habit is more addictive than being on heroin, I've been told. I smoked when I was in my teens. I was fortunate enough not to continue.

Hope you're able to get the springs in and make the car Craft show. hang in there bro.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor