84 Monte Carlo Engine Swap...or Camshaft Replacement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
So if it is running fine now then why bother spending more money on a bunch of new parts for a "band Aid" fix, and even if you did replace the cam and lifters why do you need to spend even more money on pushrods, rocker arms and valve springs?
Because of the ticking... I've fought the damn ticking since I've had the car... If I replace all of those things, I'm sure the ticking will stop and will probably run a lot better as well...

Don't know about a band aid fix, as I said before, I have seen no metal shavings in the last 4 or 5 oil changes that I have done on this motor.

This guy took his chances the same way and the only issue he ran into was cheap made flat tappet lifters or the used cam he put in with the new lifters.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Screenshot_20221205-054325-357.png
Screenshot_20221205-054757-400.png
Screenshot_20221205-054835-956.png
Screenshot_20221205-054929-086.png

Screenshot_20221205-053955-550.png

Screenshot_20221205-055313-367.png

Screenshot_20221205-055841-716.png
Screenshot_20221205-060655-244.png
Screenshot_20221205-060724-303.png
Screenshot_20221205-062331-841.png

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
See what I mean by you can always teach an old dog new tricks and there's more than one way to skin a cat ? None of you who have ridiculed me in this thread have even suggested something like this which would have been more helpful than trying to consistently persuade me to pull the engine and tear it down when I don't have the means to.

Worn cam lobes and worn lifters and the metal particles are not a guarantee to pull the engine into the complete teardown and you can actually flush the metal particles that are in the engine without removing the engine from the car and tearing it down.

This advice is also coming from mechanics with years of experience and knowledge...

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Tynan, maybe you should research confirmation bias. You aren't even legitimately asking for advice at this point, you just want to be validated.

In the past there have been many of us who have tried to help you. Many of us with a lot of real world experience. Some of us with contradicting opinions...because internet. You cherry pick what you want to hear and blame everyone else when it doesn't go your way. Please remind yourself that you're relying on free advice from strangers who haven't actually seen your POS in person.

After reading your montage of gibberish, I fully endorse the garden hose method. I 110% guarantee success and if you experience any ill effects, I will personally come to your apartment with a brand new crate motor and install it free of charge...because that's how free internet advice works. None of this is your fault and we all still think you're pretty.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Don't know about a band aid fix,
A "band aid" fix is when you would do to a temporarily repair on something until you can do it correctly and example would be when you replaced the timing cover gasket and slopped RTV everywhere to try to keep it from leaking ,
Throwing a cam and lifters etc in an engine that obviously has ran metal shavings through it is also IMO a "band aid" fix and not how anyone with engine building knowledge would do it, you can take your chances and maybe it will work for you but I would never recommend anything less than a teardown, inspection and thorough cleaning.
Good luck with this.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Tynan, maybe you should research confirmation bias. You aren't even legitimately asking for advice at this point, you just want to be validated.

In the past there have been many of us who have tried to help you. Many of us with a lot of real world experience. Some of us with contradicting opinions...because internet. You cherry pick what you want to hear and blame everyone else when it doesn't go your way. Please remind yourself that you're relying on free advice from strangers who haven't actually seen your POS in person.

After reading your montage of gibberish, I fully endorse the garden hose method. I 110% guarantee success and if you experience any ill effects, I will personally come to your apartment with a brand new crate motor and install it free of charge...because that's how free internet advice works. None of this is your fault and we all still think you're pretty.
Some people will never change as he is proving. He won't accept the correct answer but he'll work 5x's harder to get the answer he wants. I would love to have a speed shop by him cause I would be making money with no cares over all the snake oil he keeps going after. Then until he can see he might be the root of interaction issues here & on Facebook (since he admitted some of the groups blocked him) he might see why guys send so much flack his way. But if someone posted a video on pouring a 2 litter of Coke in the tank & swap all the engine oil for WD40 would fix that wasted 305 he would be posting it, claiming it's greatness then blaming all who said it won't work as being the ones at fault. Remember it's always not his fault. I still expect the fire to undo his tomoolery of automotive work. I just hope no kids are in that death trap when it happens.

Reactions: 5 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
None of you who have ridiculed me in this thread have even suggested something like this..
Because those of us who like to do things correctly understand what a hot tank and vat procedure is.

You're replacing the top end valvetrain for a "ticking" that could be as simple as a rocker arm out of adjustment. You should know this with your grandpappy's expert 40+ years experience and his assistance.

You posted pulling an engine out of a car using a tree branch and a fckn come-along, and we are the "inferior knowledge" here, sure we are..

You'll figure it out one day. Not any time soon, but one day.

This advice is also coming from mechanics with years of experience and knowledge...
Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Good Lord, you are looking for a used sbc 350, there are millions out there. As said, a decent wrecking yard should have a Vortec 350 with compression and oil pressure check done. Swap a Vortec carb intake and electric fuel pump and done. Geez, I can still find decent running Olds V8's, which are 40 plus years old, you are looking for something half as old. Drive your current 305 with 20W50 and call to yards to find a 350 with a guarantee. From Joe Blow on street, it could be another POS.

Reactions: 2 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Because those of us who like to do things correctly understand what a hot tank and vat procedure is.

You're replacing the top end valvetrain for a "ticking" that could be as simple as a rocker arm out of adjustment. You should know this with your grandpappy's expert 40+ years experience and his assistance.

You posted pulling an engine out of a car using a tree branch and a fckn come-along, and we are the "inferior knowledge" here, sure we are..

You'll figure it out one day. Not any time soon, but one day.

Dr Evil Whatever GIF
Never seen so many people butt hurt because one won't do it their way...

Let's be clear here, this is ADVICE you guys are giving me...which I have a choice to consider what's right for me, my application, and my situation.

Too many ego trips in this forum...I seldomly get guys like most of you guys here, in any other forum 😂...

It's the notorious hate for 305 motors in this forum...

But whatever, I appreciate you guys wishing me luck and I will update here with a new thread once I order these parts and start tearing things apart...

Until then, I have shopping to do...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor