84 Monte Carlo Engine Swap...or Camshaft Replacement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
This is the first motor I ever pulled.. back in 2013 on my 78 Impala... Took me 9 days to pull it out and swap it with another one...

I used a winch, a chain, and a tree... With the supervision of my mechanic Grandpa...

Had to swap the motor because when I bought it in St Joseph Missouri, the seller failed to mention that there was no water in the motor so when I drove it back to Oklahoma, the motor seized up on me about a hundred miles away from the Kansas and Oklahoma state line...🤦🏾‍♂️
Screenshot_20221127-055322-992.png
Screenshot_20221127-055408-538.png
Screenshot_20221127-055349-454.png

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Okay, I get that part.

…However if you didn’t change the oil when you first got it, then you can only assume thats where the coolant came from really 🤷‍♀️😭😭😭
I've changed the oil on this engine four or five times since I bought it and there has been no coolant in the oil... Or on the dipstick.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I got two more moving loads to do with my mom's car before I can go out here and start tinkering with mine, but I will pull the spark plugs and show you what they're saying...
Good idea man, remember all this advice costs you nothing but time ctfu!

Worst comes to worst, they will let you know well at least if they are an expense dude aha 😎💪

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Currently considering enrolling into auto technician school if my disability doesn't go as planned.
Tynan, my assumption is that you have me blocked and won't see this message. Maybe someone else can pass it along. Shaking my head and giggling at all the rest of the nonsense and lack of accountability, but I can't ignore the above statement. There are plenty of reasons for motivated individuals with actual talent to not go into this field. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER PURSUING THIS CAREER VECTOR. You have less than zero aptitude and it would be a colossal waste of time, money, and effort. If you were only affecting yourself, I wouldn't care. But unfortunately there are other students, instructors, and (undoubtedly) taxpayer funds to consider. They would all needlessly suffer, and that's not okay.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Good idea man, remember all this advice costs you nothing but time ctfu!

Worst comes to worst, they will let you know well at least if they are an expense dude aha 😎💪
Yeah you're right, and time is all I have right now... And I hope not because I spent $40 on those Platinum spark plugs.

I just asked a few people I know with space to pull my motor...🤞🏾

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Tick, tick, tick, tick............................. that persistent sound is a built in GM trade mark of a healthy engine. It should not be loud or overtly metallic sounding in nature, that would be a leading indicator of major issues, just a regular sounding Tick. Why first gen SBC's possess and display that particular eccentricity? Dunno, ask the engineers that designed it. But it is there. And if it isn't, you have a dud, a lemon, a mill either having or about to have issues.

As for this ongoing back and forth about your cam, in reviewing the timing, on all this, it appears that as much as a year passed between you first posting about possible cam issues and getting answers and suggestions about the matter as it existed THEN.

That was then, and this is NOW. As with all matters mechanical time and use cause wear. As far as cars go, issues can arise just as much from non-use as from use. If your engine ran fine, sat for a prolonged amount of time, and then you went out and climbed on the key to start it, well oil does drain down out of the galleries over time. That is why many builders and/or owners who have to employ long storage times also have ways and means to pre-lube any engine they own prior to trying to start it after a long time dormant. For myself, the timer is out of my engine and in its place is a dummy drive shaft that i can spin with a drill motor and use to run the oil pump and repressurize the oil galleries so that when I do fire this motor the cam and crank and rods will have oil on their bearings for that first turnover.

Nick

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I've changed the oil on this engine four or five times since I bought it and there has been no coolant in the oil... Or on the dipstick.
5 times? So may I ask why you didn’t bother to drop the pan and see if theres anything out of the ordinary?

Because you just said in the previous post.

“There was coolant and PB blaster mixed into the oil when I changed it, so what it looked like before that I'm not sure of...”

So if you didn’t know what it looked like before, how could you have changed the oil that many times?

You changed the filter too every time right?

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Fillet the filter. Get an oil filter cutter and remove the outer metal shell. Spread the filter medium out and give it a serious look for debris and shrapnel. Or better yet, throw a tarp over it, bury it beneath a pile of fireplace cordwood and forget about it until your family is grown and gone and then give some thought on what you want to do next. Right now you are so self-conflicted as to what you want to do and how to go about it that nothing is really making sense. Me? No not a psyche-slicer but i do play the role during snowstorms. Just parsing the probability from your posts and what they contain. Why firewood? Cheaper by the cord than trying to build a garage. Easier to dispose of if you have to move; folks always looking for firewood.

Nick

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Had to swap the motor because when I bought it in St Joseph Missouri, the seller failed to mention that there was no water in the motor so when I drove it back to Oklahoma, the motor seized up on me about a hundred miles away from the Kansas and Oklahoma state line...🤦🏾‍♂️
Let me ask something here...

You go to buy a car and you don't do the basic checks to make sure it's road worthy?

Takes all of 10 seconds to pop a radiator cap and look in the over flow.. but it's the seller's fault. Got it..👌

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor