84 Monte Carlo Engine Swap...or Camshaft Replacement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Let me ask something here...

You go to buy a car and you don't do the basic checks to make sure it's road worthy?

Takes all of 10 seconds to pop a radiator cap and look in the over flow.. but it's the seller's fault. Got it..đź‘Ś
Yeah, if I'm selling your vehicle and I have it advertised as running and ready to drive, I'm going to make sure that there is fluids in there so that it's able to drive away like I advertised...

My grandpa who is a 40-year plus mechanic was with me when it happened... Even in the 40-year plus experience he has as a mechanic he also assumed since the car was advertised as running and ready to drive that all the fluids were in it to drive it off.

So yes it's the seller's fault...👌🏾🎯💯

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Some of you guys may not like what I said in this picture, but I want to know your thoughts on it anyways...

Screenshot_20221204-105158-018.png

My uncle, who has 30 plus years as a mechanic and repairman, says I don't need to worry about the metal shavings from the lifter and the cam, because the oil filter is going to pick those things up once it flows through... Says I don't need to worry about my engine being destroyed by tiny metal shavings and that I don't need to swap my motor, and that all I need to do is replace my top end motor parts...

Said he had the same situation in his Dodge Challenger, he replaced all his top end motor parts including the camshaft and lifters without cleaning out his engine and his car is running fine today...

I think I'm just going to take my chances and replace my camshaft, lifters, pushrods, rocker arms, and valve springs... Seems to be what I can afford and work on in my parking lot versus swapping the motor out, which I'm not financially ready to do anytime soon and I need a running vehicle in the meantime.

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Yeah, if I'm selling your vehicle and I have it advertised as running and ready to drive, I'm going to make sure that there is fluids in there so that it's able to drive away like I advertised...

My grandpa who is a 40-year plus mechanic was with me when it happened... Even in the 40-year plus experience he has as a mechanic he also assumed since the car was advertised as running and ready to drive that all the fluids were in it to drive it off.

Rule #1 of buying anything used, assume everything the seller is telling you is a lie. Sorry you had to learn it the hard way but at least you got a decent bonding experience of swapping a motor. I’d call around a few decent engine shops and let them know that you are looking for a running take out Sbc. There’s always someone pulling a stock motor for a built motor or ls swap. The shop would love to sell that running motor for cheap to get it off their hands.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Rule #1 of buying anything used, assume everything the seller is telling you is a lie. Sorry you had to learn it the hard way but at least you got a decent bonding experience of swapping a motor. I’d call around a few decent engine shops and let them know that you are looking for a running take out Sbc. There’s always someone pulling a stock motor for a built motor or ls swap. The shop would love to sell that running motor for cheap to get it off their hands.
Understood... What do you think about the notion of the oil filter catching the metal shavings and not having to worry about them being in my piston rings and destroying my engine ?

Further into research on the topic of metal shavings from camshaft lifters destroying my engine, a lot of guys are saying I don't need to worry about that because it's dust and it's not magnetic... Said if anything I need to worry about the oil pump and maybe switch that out or clean it up real good and watch my oil pressure from there...

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Understood... What do you think about the notion of the oil filter catching the metal shavings and not having to worry about them being in my piston rings and destroying my engine ?

Further into research on the topic of metal shavings from camshaft lifters destroying my engine, a lot of guys are saying I don't need to worry about that because it's dust and it's not magnetic... Said if anything I need to worry about the oil pump and maybe switch that out or clean it up real good and watch my oil pressure from there...
It’s really a gamble that you have to make the call on. Figure cam and lifters plus all the extra consumables you’ll be into this repair for $350ish. Now if this cam goes flat during break in you just pissed away that cash. It may run for a while longer but who knows how great all your bearings are in the motor even prior to the cam going out. The only true guarantee is a freshly built motor. Everything else is just a guess on the longevity

Edit:
Being this is your daily driver i would really shoot for finding a running engine that someone is pulling that you can see and hear it run. Still a gamble but has better odds of staying together for a while.

• Agree

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I think I'm just going to take my chances and replace my camshaft, lifters, pushrods, rocker arms, and valve springs... Seems to be what I can afford and work on in my parking lot versus swapping the motor out, which I'm not financially ready to do anytime soon and I need a running vehicle in the meantime.

I wish you the best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
At this rate I’d find a Upull and Pay with a Vortec 350 equipped truck and just pull that for a swap. If you can get the truck running in the yard and it doesn’t make any funky noises, it’ll be far cheaper than fixing the 305.

Or you could stuff it in a shed and properly rebuild it with advice from an engine builder instead of continuing to futz about with an unknown quantity that’s already had metal through it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach

Well, I can understand why you didn't know to look a vehicle over since in his 40+ years as a mechanic he hasn't learned to check the coolant in a radiator either.

I applaud you wanting to do the right thing and make sure a vehicle would be good to go. However, if you are in this position right now and want to slap the new parts in that engine that probably has more glitter in it than a strip clup, I would be hesitant to buy anything you sell.

We have given you the best advice that we can, you have your mind made up with the "expert advice" you have been given outside of this forum so not sure why you even asked here. The facebook group admins are all wrong so must be we are too, why I said it already.

Hope you have the best of luck.

You Got This Spider Man GIF

Reactions: 1 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
It’s really a gamble that you have to make the call on. Figure cam and lifters plus all the extra consumables you’ll be into this repair for $350ish. Now if this cam goes flat during break in you just pissed away that cash. It may run for a while longer but who knows how great all your bearings are in the motor even prior to the cam going out. The only true guarantee is a freshly built motor. Everything else is just a guess on the longevity

Edit:
Being this is your daily driver i would really shoot for finding a running engine that someone is pulling that you can see and hear it run. Still a gamble but has better odds of staying together for a while.
That being said I'm going to see what my odds are by researching lifter shavings circulating through the engine and replacing a camshaft and lifters without cleaning the engine of those shavings...

But you're right, either way is a gamble, and I'll have to take the chance within my means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor