84 Monte Carlo Engine Swap...or Camshaft Replacement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
That being said I'm going to see what my odds are by researching lifter shavings circulating through the engine and replacing a camshaft and lifters without cleaning the engine of those shavings...

But you're right, either way is a gamble, and I'll have to take the chance within my means.
While it’s probably ok due to the fine grains of metal produced by the grinding of the cam and lifters, If you have to let the car sit, it would be better to rebuild another motor that’s a known quantity rather than risk more money in the pit that the 305 is.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
In all likely hood, the filings from the wiped cam have already circulated though the engine and damaged various bearings inside before the filter could catch them. The best course of action now is find another engine to swap in.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Like I said before, his best option is less than 100 miles away, and is a roller engine

All this talk of cheap usable running pullout 350s from shops must be wonderful, but that's not how things go down in Oklahoma.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
In my day we saved our money to buy what we want our need. That's what I'm doing now. A rebuilt small block from auto zone is about $2000

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
But as of now the engine runs fine except for the ticking,
I think I'm just going to take my chances and replace my camshaft, lifters, pushrods, rocker arms, and valve springs... Seems to be what I can afford and work on in my parking lot versus swapping the motor out, which I'm not financially ready to do anytime soon and I need a running vehicle in the meantime.
So if it is running fine now then why bother spending more money on a bunch of new parts for a "band Aid" fix, and even if you did replace the cam and lifters why do you need to spend even more money on pushrods, rocker arms and valve springs?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Like I said before, his best option is less than 100 miles away, and is a roller engine

All this talk of cheap usable running pullout 350s from shops must be wonderful, but that's not how things go down in Oklahoma.

He can also try Craigslist. I bought a POSI 7.5 with 3.73 gears for $100 off of CL.

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
If it makes you feel better, the 396 in my monte w unknown mileage had developed a rod knock. Pulled the entire engine and replaced the bearings after giving journals a good polish. Each one were well within specs checking them with plastiguage. While I had the engine flipped upside down I had noticed the cylinder walls that were within view all still had some visible crosshatching marks which gave me the impression the engine had relatively low miles. While the engine was out, I decided that I wanted to put a computer friendly cam in. This is where I discovered a broken roller rocker adjuster and a couple of eaten lobes/lifters. My old adjusters as well as the new ones that I ordered when you set the lock screw, it screwed in pretty deep which arrived to the conclusion that my rocker studs were a tad short and left thread engagement at 2-3 threads. I think the 2-3 thread engagement led to the failure point as some of the others upon inspection started to crack at the base of the adjuster. Replaced with longer screw in rocker studs and now the lock screw would sit almost flush with the top of the adjusters. Buttoned it all up and daily drove it for 3-4 years. That engine was still operational when pulled but sits lifeless on a engine stand.

Point of this is you need to make some informed decisions based on the condition of the engine that you're being dealt with. Sucks to be you if you pull it apart and find it to be all tired and worn out. My apologies if it seems like I contributed to pulling the string on the talking doll...
ptaack.gif

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
So if it is running fine now then why bother spending more money on a bunch of new parts for a "band Aid" fix, and even if you did replace the cam and lifters why do you need to spend even more money on pushrods, rocker arms and valve springs?
Because buying new parts that aren't needed is how you build things. It makes it cooler.

Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor