CUTLASS 84 supreme 305 swap (need help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Unsure of your mechanical experience or your final plans are. I'm a Chevy guy (not pushing them) but an Olds transplant is going to be your easiest solution.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am not really seeing what makes going from a Buick V6 to an Olds V8 any easier than installing a SBC and with the advantage that you can get a SBC anywhere even new.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Dont realy have a budget i just want a turbo 350 and 305 sbc

What is driving your desire to have a turbo 350 and 305? I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to put a 3 speed transmission in a driver. Turbo 350's are old technology, 6 speeds are old technology......

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Actually a Buick 350 is a DIRECT swap. All accessories, mounts etc swap right over. I am an Olds guy, any I find despite orginal Olds 350's being nearly 50 years old they are still good runners. The sbc from the 70's weren't nearly as good or reliable in my experience.

• Agree

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Actually a Buick 350 is a DIRECT swap. All accessories, mounts etc swap right over. I am an Olds guy, any I find despite orginal Olds 350's being nearly 50 years old they are still good runners. The sbc from the 70's weren't nearly as good or reliable in my experience.
I suggested an Olds, specifically a 307, because they may be easier to locate than a Buick V8, and maybe you'd want to keep your Olds all Olds. They were used in all Buick, Olds, and Pontiac cars in the 80s, and all use the same bellhousing bolt pattern as your 3.8. Chevy is of course different. If you were lucky to get a 2004R 4-speed automatic in yours (doubt it) then it has a dual pattern in the casting and you can bolt up any of the four brands' engines (plus Cadillac if you really really want to). Building a Buick is expensive because they were fairly rare and parts are much less common, but they make great torque. If you can find a complete running Buick from the 1970s, that's the best approach. The catch is that Buick V8s ended in 1979/80. I have a 455 I have in storage, and haven't done anything with it because I am too invested in small-block Chevy.

Heres's a quick summary, mostly for the links for all the combinations. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V8_engine

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I swapped my Malibu to a long time ago. I came upon the 305 cheap so I bought it to get the car ready for the real V8, a new crate motor. It’s now12 years later and I’m still waiting to swap it out. I guess the 305 is better than the six, but how much I don’t know.
It wasn’t too big of a deal. Changed the frame mounts, fan shroud, and a little wiring.

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
I swapped my Malibu to a long time ago. I came upon the 305 cheap so I bought it to get the car ready for the real V8, a new crate motor. It’s now12 years later and I’m still waiting to swap it out. I guess the 305 is better than the six, but how much I don’t know.
It wasn’t too big of a deal. Changed the frame mounts, fan shroud, and a little wiring.
You bought a 305 12 years ago Wow you think somebody would’ve paid you to take it off their hands back then lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor