85 grand prix build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchogp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2021
Good old guy who has barely crushed anything in 20 yrs the 2004r was attached to a 307 olds

Last edited:

Ponchogp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2021
Love the car, and really like the rims. I had an 86 with t-tops and i loved it. Good luck with the build!
I wish mine had t tops..... however I do have a nifty aftermarket sunroof that luckily does not leak!

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
Nice GP and nice to see another Poncho. I have a 81 Lemans with a Pontiac 400, 200r4 and 3:42's Nothing outrageous just a fun street car. Here is a little info for your swap plans.
First you will need a set of 265/301 Gbody motor mount brackets to sit the engine in properly. F body mounts sit the engine up too high according to others.
With the exeption of MadDog headers, no one makes a bolt in header for Pontiac powered Gbodies. Maddog's are well made but expensive. 3 tube f-body headers can be made to fit but usually require some level of modification on the driver side. passenger side is usually fine. I went with reproduction 66-67 GTO ramair manifolds with the 3 bolt flange and mandrel downpipes from RamAirRestorations and they fit perfect.
Use the powersteering pump from a 265/301 gbody along with the fan shroud.
The rest is basic cut/fit/paste like anyother engine swap. As a personal choice, I kept the columm shift and the linkage bolted up fine.
If you have any questions, hit me up and above all, have fun.

Reactions: 1 user

Ponchogp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2021
Nice GP and nice to see another Poncho. I have a 81 Lemans with a Pontiac 400, 200r4 and 3:42's Nothing outrageous just a fun street car. Here is a little info for your swap plans.
First you will need a set of 265/301 Gbody motor mount brackets to sit the engine in properly. F body mounts sit the engine up too high according to others.
With the exeption of MadDog headers, no one makes a bolt in header for Pontiac powered Gbodies. Maddog's are well made but expensive. 3 tube f-body headers can be made to fit but usually require some level of modification on the driver side. passenger side is usually fine. I went with reproduction 66-67 GTO ramair manifolds with the 3 bolt flange and mandrel downpipes from RamAirRestorations and they fit perfect.
The rest is basic cut/fit/paste like anyother engine swap. As a personal choice, I kept the columm shift and the linkage bolted up fine.
Thankyou much I will now be getting those headers I've been looking to find the right ones!!!!!! Yeah I'm keeping the column shift....mostly bc I'm just running out of money on this thing.... transmission was cheap and low miles.... the rear I'm doing a ford 9 with 3:73.... the 350 was not my first choice but it came out of a friends dads garage.... with the bore.... #16 heads, good exhaust, and the cam ... im hoping I can pull upwards of 350 hp.... but prolly dreaming , lol

Ponchogp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2021
It was my hope to be at 400hp + but for something I'm driving, keeping and will only see the 1/4 mile a couple times a yr.... the 350 works

Ponchogp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2021
Does a column rebuild fix the loosy goosey column?

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
It was my hope to be at 400hp + but for something I'm driving, keeping and will only see the 1/4 mile a couple times a yr.... the 350 works
don't forget Pontiac engines make lots of torque at low rpm's. That's why they are so much fun. My 400 has 6x heads with mild porting, performer intake with qjet and a new cam from Butler (262/270 total duration, 218-224 at .050 with 462/470 lift) along with roller tip rockers. That should put me in the 350/360 hp ballpark but with about 450 ft/lbs. High horsepower is fun but it depends on how you drive it. I put about 10-12k kms on it every summer and drive it everywhere.

Ponchogp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2021
don't forget Pontiac engines make lots of torque at low rpm's. That's why they are so much fun. My 400 has 6x heads with mild porting, performer intake with qjet and a new cam from Butler (262/270 total duration, 218-224 at .050 with 462/470 lift) along with roller tip rockers. That should put me in the 350/360 hp ballpark but with about 450 ft/lbs. High horsepower is fun but it depends on how you drive it. I put about 10-12k kms on it every summer and drive it everywhere.
Nice! I had the 6x4s the best bnb I could tell the #16s old 16s ... push up compression 9:1 or better with the cam, ram air manifolds, and bore like I said if I'm close to 400hp I can handle it.... my hemi has 375.... my old monte had 400 hp . I'm not going to take much risk just want something that can hold it own to modern builds... I'm no vin diesel lol .... just trying to do it right one time...

Ponchogp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2021
A few pics of pieces i have.....

Attachments

• 20210319_173742.jpg
    20210319_173742.jpg
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 20210319_173812.jpg
    20210319_173812.jpg
    1,015.1 KB · Views: 93
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor