85' Monte Carlo CA smog SUCKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
If I lived in CA I would get the E-Rod LS3 crate engine. It's 50 state complaint.
Spendy I know. But it would be a great investment.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
LS3 E-Rod crate seems expensive, but as I’m learning in getting quotes from shops for doing work on the wagon, labor can be a BIG expense. Trying to custom-build an SBC or anything else to pass smog AND make power, you’ll probably be out about the same amount in the end.

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
Then check the swap meets ,local wrecking yards and online And or go with a later model fuel injection set ups as well

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
At least in SoCal you don't have to worry about road salt rotting your G body away like in most of the free states. In the cold states, their governments force you to pay them for destroying your car.

As for 305 builds, you could get 059 Vortec heads which are meant for 305s, and GM's Qjet Vortec intake with EGR provision (requires external EGR line), and easily make about 300 hp. At 400 hp, a G body needs frame and body reinforcing. Also, a higher hp engine will exacerbate the stock brake and suspension deficiencies in a G body.

Last edited:

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
If I'm not mistaken, you could swap in a 350 long block, right under your 305 intake and exhaust parts, re-install all the smog equipment from your 305, and you'd be fine at smogcheck, you wouldn't even need to take it to a Referee. This is from the official Smog Check Reference Guide for the stations, one of the numerous quirks in the oddball scheme of things around here.

This is the definition of an "Engine Change," which would need to pass a Referee: "the installation of an engine that is different from the one that was originally installed in the vehicle, and does not qualify as a 'replacement engine'."

Now this is one of the definitions they have for "Replacement Engine," which according to that would NOT need to pass a Referee: "A new, rebuilt, remanufactured, or used engine of the same make, number of cylinders, and engine family as the original engine with the original smog controls reinstalled". Note that displacement is NOT part of this definition. And the 305 and 350 are more "engine family" than just about anything.

I've been looking into this stuff for so many years I'm buried under a pile of this kind of minutae. :mrgreen:

Reactions: 1 users

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
If I'm not mistaken, you could swap in a 350 long block, right under your 305 intake and exhaust parts, re-install all the smog equipment from your 305, and you'd be fine at smogcheck, you wouldn't even need to take it to a Referee.

I just delved deeper into it. When it comes to smog there's a special definition of "engine family." The manufacturer specifies "family" members in certification paperwork. And while GM could have lumped the 305 and 350 into a single "family," they didn't -- they did for pickups but not for cars.

So I WAS mistaken, you can't. I had to take it to another level of minutae to find that out. :mrgreen:

tellboy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2018
newzealand
Greetings mr whitebread, places that have been helpful to me; Ecklers automotive, mikesmontes.com, classic industries ca., G.boby salvage in ontario-jose very helpfull
hedman headers do have a sweep back set to fit 305 but you will have to modify or move the oil pressure sender, their kit also shows you how to modify the aircon bracket as well.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
per the OP's request I've reopened this thread with the political horsecrap deleted. Lets stick to the topic at hand, instead of searching for any and every opportunity to sit around and b*tch about politics like a bunch of angry old white dudes listening to AM radio?

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor