'86 camino front end replacement - engine out - WHERE to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK_Camino

Apprentice
May 25, 2021
Houston
hey guys, so I got all new moog parts for my 1986 camino front end. I have:

tie rods, inner and outer
center link
upper and lower control arms
idler arm
shocks
5660 springs
stabilizer bar links, other bump stops
tie rod end adjusting sleeves

The engine is currently out of the car. Any suggestions on where to start to make things easiest on me? I'm thinking of doing the tie rods and center link first, then idler arm and control arms, and shocks/springs last. I'm just not sure what I have to take apart to access what, so that order may have to change.

Thanks, -HK

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Changing the front springs is where I'd start, only because you'll have the spindle off to do it. At that point changing everything else will be a part that you've already removed.

You'll need a spring compressor to get the spindle back on because you have no weight on the front end without the motor in the car.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i would drop the entire steering first. inner tie rods won't come out till the center link is moved. i would leave the steering off till the suspension is done. that way it will be out of your way. since you have the engine out, you'll need a spring compressor tool to collapse the spring for removal and installation.

this would be the order i would follow.
remove steering components
loosen upper and lower ball joint to knuckle nuts, but don't remove the nuts. using the double hammer technique, place one hammer on the knuckle where the ball joint stud passes though, and hit it with the other hammer. leave the shock at this point and start with the lower ball joint, the coil spring pressure will help loosen the ball joint to knuckle connection.
then move on to the upper ball joint, gravity and spring pressure will help loosen this connection.
remove shock
install coil spring tool and compress spring.
remove upper control arm.
remove knuckle
remove coil spring
remove lower control arm.

reassemble in reverse order.

for the steering, assemble tie rods with adjusting sleeves. remember there are left and right handed threads. inner tie rods are different from outers. thread the tie rods the same amount of turns. compare assembled length with old units, this will ensure having your "toe in" close to correct for your drive to the alignment shop.

respect physics, and be careful of the coil spring.

good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I wouldn't jack with the springs until the weight is back in. The steering gear is easy if you do it as an entire assembly. Pull the old in one piece, assemble the new stuff as close to the old as you can, then reinstall.

HK_Camino

Apprentice
May 25, 2021
Houston
I got the steering out as an entire assembly, it wasn't bad at all. I'm reusing my steering box and pitman arm, they were DIRTY. Rotary wire brush worked wonders on it.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I got the steering out as an entire assembly, it wasn't bad at all. I'm reusing my steering box and pitman arm, they were DIRTY. Rotary wire brush worked wonders on it.
Strip everything off the frame. When you get to the control arms go to the local autozone and get their loan a tool spring compressor. The threaded rod goes through the shock bolt hole in the frame. You might have to open the hole a little with a file but the compressor works great. Ive used it on both of my cars. While the motors out and the control arms are off you can detail the crap out of the frame and firewall if you have the time and money. I also used the wire brush method on everything that wouldnt come off. Things that could be removed got sandblasted and repainted. I would also spend the money on new hardware. Nothing but metric grade 10.9 for bolts, washers and prevailing torque lock nuts. I got all the sizes from Belmetric in MA. Guess it all depends on how far you want to go as far as detailing.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor