86 cutlass salon build

Status
Not open for further replies.
500 honest horses and 3,800 pounds should turn 115 mph in the quarter which equates to mid to high 11s all day with decent traction. Just need traction & efficient use of gear etc. JBreu thanks but I don't mean to be schooling nobody just helping where I can and learning where I can.

i looked up the 86 salon but all i can find are estimates from 3000 to 3500. looks like im gonna have to find someone with some weight plates to weight my car. the dyno shop i use charges my 75 an hour to use his equipment and i think he has some digital scales that go under the wheels.

My 88 Cutlass Supreme with me, a full size spare, tank of fuel, 8.5 rear, 500 Caddy with AC weighed 3840. I weighed about 215. I think most gbody cars only normally weigh about 3,500. But if you are adding 200 for the driver 3,800 is a safe number. Still fairly light for a factory v8 frame car with 108" wheelbase.

bjohn07 said:
i looked up the 86 salon but all i can find are estimates from 3000 to 3500. looks like im gonna have to find someone with some weight plates to weight my car. the dyno shop i use charges my 75 an hour to use his equipment and i think he has some digital scales that go under the wheels.

Find a truckstop. Most have scales to weigh trucks and shouldn't cost more than $10. Go in and talk to them, tell them what you're doing and they might not even charge you.

86Cutlass383SR said:
bjohn07 said:

Find a truckstop. Most have scales to weigh trucks and shouldn't cost more than $10. Go in and talk to them, tell them what you're doing and they might not even charge you.
thats a good idea i never even thought of that. there are alot of truck stops here in town. and i have a friend from school that works at a petro shop changin oil on big rigs. ill give him a ring.

okay picked up some parts to do the rear brakes . i did set a budget for this car so i kept the drum brakes and stock suspension for now. ill upgrade the control arms later when i have some more money to invest.
this is what i got planned for tomorrow.
im gonna put new wheel cylinders, new backing plates since one of the was kinda tweaked, new drums, new hardware, new shoes, since im gonna pull the axles to do the backing plates im gonna put in some new wheel seals new wheel studs, drain the diff of course and im gonna pull it apart to count the teeth on the gears and check if it has a posi and replace the pinoin seal since it was leaking. and thats it for tomorrow. on my next day off im gonna do the rear shocks and put in new bushings on the upper and lower control arms. ill post up some pics of my progress.

You can also try places like gravel quarrys. I showed up early one morning and they let me drive on the scales for free.

And yes, these cars aren't exactly light. My '87 came in at 3,930lbs. At the time I weighed in at 250lbs so the car by itself was 3680lbs. This was with the 455 and a 1/4 tank of gas. If I would have had a full tank of gas it would have been more like 3,760lbs.

And my car was a low option model with manual windows, locks, etc.

well this sucks. i had to order the backing plates yesterday and they said they would be here today from the hub store. so i go to get them and now they say that the guy who put the order in prob didnt hit the enter key to place the order. now i got to wait till tomorrow to get them but i dont think ill have another day off till next weekend. :evil: oh well looks like im gonna leave the car alone today. maybe i can get the yard done and drink some cold ones while im at it 8)

I'm not sure if you're aware of this but with adding all those new parts, you could go to a u-pull-it yard and score a rear disc brake setup from an f-body (? 98 or so to 2002). It's not a direct bolt-on but it's not too bad. Here's a link if you'd like to look: http://www.thirdgen.org/ls1reardisc The swap here would be the same for our cars. Only down side is I can't remember if these fit under a 15" wheel.

You can use the same prop valve FE3X CLONE used and it bolts in place of the stock one.

For a budget based front upgrade, you can do an S10 2wd spindle swap that uses stock a-arms. They have the dual caliper alum calipers and offer increased front braking. I believe these will fit a 15" wheel but can't say for sure.

Just a suggestion. I hate seeing anyone put that much money in a car unless you're restoring it back to stock, when you can spend about the same money and upgrade with much better parts. And, since all are factory GM parts, replacement parts are as close as the local AZ, Napa, O'Reilly's, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor