BUILD THREAD 86 GP 2+2~Blown 6.0

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Make sure it's submersible, I learned that one the hard way.

I mentioned the good Gates hose a page or so back.

mcfly GIF

I love you.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I'm not a fan of the near 1/2 volt drop. Not sure what the deal is there and I'm not sold that a #8 wire from the front of the car to the rear is the answer. The buss bar in the trunk is a better idea. Personally, I'd put the battery in the truck, run a #2 to the starter and to the block (ground), jump all your engine bay pdm's off the starter hot post and run the pump from a relay in the trunk.

Wow, that just got evasive in one sentence lol. I was looking for a meme from The Great Outdoors where John Candy is saying 'Bear, Big Bear, Big Bear'.

I'm interested to see how the line size increase affects pressure drop.

I am not a fan of the voltage drop either! I borrowed an amp clamp from a buddy and I am going to check what the amp draw actually is.

I would consider a trunk battery but with my dumb 2+2 mini trunk opening it would be VERY inconvenient to service the battery. I'd prefer to put it on the upper deck right over the rear axle so it doesn't interfere with putting stuff in the trunk but it's so far up there it's really hard to get to.

I should have specified, I run both pumps from one breaker, aka distribution block/buss bar, then separate resettable fuses, I also dislike letting the smoke out of my wiring.

I like a 50% over anticipated capacity with .2 volt drop then breaker/fuse for anticipated load, reminds me of stereo install guy school back when that was cool.

9.4psi sounds legit, I scaled down the tubing friction from calcs for well circulation and I think I had 16psi. Get rid of that oem ecu nonsense and run a 40psi base. 🤣

Agree, distribution block/buss as close to pumps as possible, then 12ga to pumps under 4' long.

I like the 50% over capacity with 0.2V drop rule of thumb with the breaker for each pump near the pump idea. Do you put the relay still up front and back near the pumps?

I have a single relay under the hood but I would like to go to twin relays if I am running twin pumps unless 1 relay is better for some reason.

You have a GD lathe... make something foo'! ;)

I was going to just spend $20 and buy something, but now that you have poked the bees nest I guess I am going to spend hours and twice the amount of money building something that is a 15% improvement over the off the shelf option :p

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
First one, but just a tick too small for you.

Second, and probably a good choice for your needs.

Awesome, thanks! That $20 close to perfect. That prewired one is nice with 4 wire and a 90 but the 12 gauge wire is a bit small.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I was going to just spend $20 and buy something, but now that you have poked the bees nest I guess I am going to spend hours and twice the amount of money building something that is a 15% improvement over the off the shelf option :p
it's a trap bear GIF

• Agree
  • Haha

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

Bill Murray Drink GIF

Also, this is why I am a great leader.

homer simpson episode 13 GIF

Now eat your gruel.

• Haha

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I am not a fan of the voltage drop either! I borrowed an amp clamp from a buddy and I am going to check what the amp draw actually is.

I would consider a trunk battery but with my dumb 2+2 mini trunk opening it would be VERY inconvenient to service the battery. I'd prefer to put it on the upper deck right over the rear axle so it doesn't interfere with putting stuff in the trunk but it's so far up there it's really hard to get to.

I like the 50% over capacity with 0.2V drop rule of thumb with the breaker for each pump near the pump idea. Do you put the relay still up front and back near the pumps?

I have a single relay under the hood but I would like to go to twin relays if I am running twin pumps unless 1 relay is better for some reason.

Technically it "should" be fused/breaker from battery to rear distribution block. Audio power fuse works good, probably better in that application than a breaker being in the elements and having contacts potentially corrode and cause resistance.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Some more food for thought, voltage drop and/or low voltage affects more than just your pump. It will affect your injectors in the same manner. The dead times, or opening times depending whom your talking to, are voltage sensitive. All of the aftermarket stuff will have a voltage correction table for injector times, and I have to believe that GM does as well.

Also, I tried running all of my systems off from the charge wire of the alternator as Mike recommended and found it cause to too much voltage fluctuation. I had an easier time having a consistent voltage from the battery. I found that I was battling inconsistent fuel trims when I was at max, or near max, amp draw. We were running a 100amp CS130 alternator and we were using about 85 amps when everything wass going full tilt. But when I swapped the supply to the battery and hooked the charge wire directly to the battery, then my voltage drop would be less than .3 or.4 volts during a full pull. I had the thought that the battery was more of a supply, or storage center, of amps. Perhaps I was completely incorrect, but I know that's what has worked out best for me.

I do not have my MC working in the same manner. I have a central power stud on the firewall that I have everything except the Holley and pumps hooked to , but it has a 135 amp alternator.

I'm curious if you have battery voltage at your injectors with the car running.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor