BUILD THREAD 86 GP 2+2~Blown 6.0

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I will say that your fuel problems will be gone as long as you stick to gas or C16. It's quite shocking that you figured this out before you lifted a head or windowed the block - well done ;)

Reactions: 4 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I will say that your fuel problems will be gone as long as you stick to gas or C16. It's quite shocking that you figured this out before you lifted a head or windowed the block - well done ;)

I'm racking it up to luck.

Dad always said I'm the luckiest guy he knows so I'm not sure I can take all the credit.

I agree a lot to not blowing your crap up is preparedness. I try to be prepared. I haven't blown anything up yet but I'm at relatively low HP.

This is a local guy who is doing the heads up grudge style radial racing on a budget. It's a high 4sec 1/8 car with a SBE 5.3. It's tuned to run up to 32-35 psi but somehow he put too much duty cycle in it and it took something like 50psi+ for about 3 seconds before kaboom.

It's a good reality check that checking out as much in a controlled environment as possible is a good idea and not to try anything drastically new at the track!!

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
On today's episode of 'A lathe is really just a horizontal mill'

I make machining parts to make car parts.

I bought a line lock solenoid because I wanted to be able to 1-2 shift on my burnouts and I didn't have a 3rd leg to hold the brake while I stab the clutch and give it some throttle

But then I realized I can make a better version of my clutch clamp delay valve that I've been putting off.

I put together a rough prototype of my clutch delay valve with a 2 position 3 way hydraulic valve and some fittings and hoses a few months ago but I wasn't happy. It took up too much space, got too close to the header, looked ugly, the valve was hard to buy if I decide to build one for a guy with a red 442 who is running drag week, and I couldn't solve the problem of the clutch pedal potentially being hard to push in when the valve is active.

So I looked at the line lock and realized it's better to build a valve block from scratch, put in a check valve, and use more readily available parts. It should work better, cost less, and look and fit better it's just going to take more time.

But it meant machining a valve block from scratch which means I need a mill. I can borrow mill time from the local guy that does drag weekend or sneak into the shop on campus but I thought it would be a good idea to build a chuck attachment for my lathe and turn it into a 2.5 axis mill. Since I only need 2 axis of travel for this part I can do everything from home.

I dug in my spare metal cabinet and found some bar stock to fit in a lathe tool holder, bought an overpriced piece of 1/4*4 flat bar from me-nards, and got sawing. I welded the flat bar perpendicular to the square bar and faced the flat bar with a fly cutter.

IMG_20210602_181550.jpg

IMG_20210602_204026.jpg

Drilled and tapped a pair of holes in the mount and bolted my small drill press vice I made during my machining apprenticeship during college
IMG_20210602_213031.jpg

Cut a stick of aluminum bar to size In the portaband and stuck it In the chuck
IMG_20210602_213537.jpg

And it's square.
IMG_20210602_214412.jpg

I'll work on drilling and tapping the block for the fittings and check valves this week or weekend. It should make more sense when I get to that point.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Usually I'm pretty motivated,

But Lucifer's Son it's hot out.

It's been high in the mid/upper 90's the last few days with lows in the mid 70's and that's too much for this northerner. Plus i've been dumping all my time in my basement remodel to work around contractor deadlines.

I did notice my ac stopped working and was low on freon so I stabbed a few cans in and got that working.

I had my buddy that has an l67 fiero and a 71 roadrunner come to the big Mopar show with me Saturday to spectate. I tried to convince him to drive it up but I wasn't successful.

Bathed in sunscreen and went out on foot. We looked at expensive mopar stuff on display and headed over to the swap meet. Saw a bunch of 64-74 b bodies, bunch of a bodies, e bodies, c bodies, pickups. Man do the new charger and challenger people show up in force. Must have been 200-300+ LX chassis cars parked there and we totally skipped it. Too hot!

He picked up a factory 7 blade fan and fan shrowd since the person he bought the car from restored from put on a Flex fan without a shrowd and (surprise) it overheats. I convinced him to toss the POS flex fan away and bought the cheapest $20 HD cooling fan I found there. I bought a fly cutter for my lathe. Honestly one of the best automotive swap meets I've been too. Dodge people care about their stuff and they actually had car parts instead of typical flea market crapola. Cylinder heads, transmissions, body and interior parts, ect.

I stumbled on an all GM show for today last minute but was too tired to clean the car off so I took it out covered in brake and saw dust. It was $5 more to actually enter my car which was worth not walking vs just spectating.

The Corvette, nova, corvair, fiero, Buick, Pontiac and chev club got together and hosted the show. Moderate turnout. Half a dozen GN's, some montes, tons of Elvis, few 442's, I was the only GP g body. Pretty good for a 1 day show I never heard about before that's 2 miles away.

Quite a few F and A bodies, trucks, ect. I skipped the Vette row. My fiero buddy talked fiero stuff with fiero people.

The GM show swap meet sucked. I wish it was more like the Mopar swap meet.

Anyway, Nice to be back out in '21 and getting past '20.

IMG_20210606_104651.jpg
IMG_20210606_104851.jpg
IMG_20210606_105134.jpg
IMG_20210606_105534.jpg
IMG_20210606_110332.jpg
IMG_20210606_111511.jpg
IMG_20210606_111737.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Usually I'm pretty motivated,

But Lucifer's Son it's hot out.

It's been high in the mid/upper 90's the last few days with lows in the mid 70's and that's too much for this northerner. Plus i've been dumping all my time in my basement remodel to work around contractor deadlines.

I did notice my ac stopped working and was low on freon so I stabbed a few cans in and got that working.

I had my buddy that has an l67 fiero and a 71 roadrunner come to the big Mopar show with me Saturday to spectate. I tried to convince him to drive it up but I wasn't successful.

Bathed in sunscreen and went out on foot. We looked at expensive mopar stuff on display and headed over to the swap meet. Saw a bunch of 64-74 b bodies, bunch of a bodies, e bodies, c bodies, pickups. Man do the new charger and challenger people show up in force. Must have been 200-300+ LX chassis cars parked there and we totally skipped it. Too hot!

He picked up a factory 7 blade fan and fan shrowd since the person he bought the car from restored from put on a Flex fan without a shrowd and (surprise) it overheats. I convinced him to toss the POS flex fan away and bought the cheapest $20 HD cooling fan I found there. I bought a fly cutter for my lathe. Honestly one of the best automotive swap meets I've been too. Dodge people care about their stuff and they actually had car parts instead of typical flea market crapola. Cylinder heads, transmissions, body and interior parts, ect.

I stumbled on an all GM show for today last minute but was too tired to clean the car off so I took it out covered in brake and saw dust. It was $5 more to actually enter my car which was worth not walking vs just spectating.

The Corvette, nova, corvair, fiero, Buick, Pontiac and chev club got together and hosted the show. Moderate turnout. Half a dozen GN's, some montes, tons of Elvis, few 442's, I was the only GP g body. Pretty good for a 1 day show I never heard about before that's 2 miles away.

Quite a few F and A bodies, trucks, ect. I skipped the Vette row. My fiero buddy talked fiero stuff with fiero people.

The GM show swap meet sucked. I wish it was more like the Mopar swap meet.

Anyway, Nice to be back out in '21 and getting past '20.

View attachment 177122 View attachment 177123 View attachment 177124 View attachment 177125 View attachment 177126 View attachment 177127 View attachment 177128
I thought the all gm car show was cancelled this year. Covid related. Glad they pulled their heads out and got it done. Its been going on for years. Started out as a Buick show till they started to die off. Several years ago i saw an 84 or 85 riviera t-type there. Turbo, fi 3.8l. Cool looking car.
20170604_083431.jpg
20170604_083422.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
You're not getting a "few Fiero people together" around here.
Is that because
A) all the fiero owners are old or dead
B) they have 6 fieros and they are all broken

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Is that because
A) all the fiero owners are old or dead
B) they have 6 fieros and they are all broken
Whoa whoa whoa - my kid painted a Fiero for a 30 something last year and he has two!! ............................only one runs though ;(

They were a great concept except they couldn't handle a V8 without stupid amounts of fabrication. I've seen a Ford ecoboost 2.0 in one - pretty respectable at just under 300 hp in full emissions splendor.

Gotta dare to be different - Fiero owners are good guys - its not like they are Cowboy or Bills fans.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor