REGAL 86 regal v6 acceleration issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It does sound like it could be ignition related, another possibility is if it has the factory timing gears with nylon teeth that wear down to nothing and will cause a lot of timing issues.

Reactions: 1 user

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
What size rear cylinders are you running on your Regal, coil over or coil under and are you running a slip yoke on your drive shaft? Locking up the rear end pushes your drive shaft forward shoving it into the transmission. Dropping the car pulls it away a bit. Running 10" cylinders with a tall coil stack or 12" cylinders with a precut stack will shove the driveline into the transmission when fully locked up. This eats transmissions like a son of a gun. Thats why you truly want to get a slip yoke and get it installed. Have the driveshaft tech measure fully locked up and fully dumped and they will determine exactly what to cut out and put in the slip. Hoppos sells them and so does Black Magic.

Reactions: 1 user

MontesbyE

Greasemonkey
Sep 12, 2020
North Carolina
It does sound like it could be ignition related, another possibility is if it has the factory timing gears with nylon teeth that wear down to nothing and will cause a lot of timing issues.
Another thing i have personally had happen, the catalytic convertor crapped out on my monte. wouldn't accelerate spit and sputter. would idle fine but under load would clog up and choke the engine out.

Reactions: 1 users

Albert714

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2020
Anaheim ca
What size rear cylinders are you running on your Regal, coil over or coil under and are you running a slip yoke on your drive shaft? Locking up the rear end pushes your drive shaft forward shoving it into the transmission. Dropping the car pulls it away a bit. Running 10" cylinders with a tall coil stack or 12" cylinders with a precut stack will shove the driveline into the transmission when fully locked up. This eats transmissions like a son of a gun. Thats why you truly want to get a slip yoke and get it installed. Have the driveshaft tech measure fully locked up and fully dumped and they will determine exactly what to cut out and put in the slip. Hoppos sells them and so does Black Magic.
I believe I’m running 12-14 in rears with coil over and springs are cut as well I never really raise the back unless I’m hitting a corner besides that I always have the rear laid down

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have gutted cats on the car by cutting a flap and then using an air chisel to break up the insides and then bend the flap back and weld it shut.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor