87 442 the way they should have been

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Clutch, if you do I will be forever grateful, now if I could get my hands on an s10 manual steering column! Haha
It doesn't seem to complicated, it is something I will need to do in the future.
Almost finished rebuilding my Saginaw. De-burred all the gears, just need to load in the needle bearings then I'll be ready for assembly so I will be swapping in my manual transmission hopefully by August.
You can use the parts from any Saginaw column as long as it's stick and tilt and your g-body column is tilt so it can be Camaro firebird pre air bag! Truck s-10 front wheel drive gm also pre SRS Jeep AMC there all the same up top when you start looking for 1 in junk yards you will be surprised how many cars use those columns there's a few things to watch for tho Cruse don't matter use your switches make shore it's close tho what year is your car?

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Thanks man I really appreciate the information. I've always loved the interchangeability of these vehicles, but I guess that all really comes down to the manufacturer of each component, like Saginaw, Delphi AC Delco etc etc..
Makes sense to use the same components. Thanks clutch I will research this a bit further.
And my MC is a 78. The only thing that annoys me is the one year only stuff haha

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
The EPA shut down the only pick and pull within 60 mile radius of me and the others are in the valley in LA..haha not going there too many people haha the one here out in the desert was nice because I'm out in the boonies sort a so no body was there haha

Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
IMG_20140906_140142.jpg
Thanks man I really appreciate the information. I've always loved the interchangeability of these vehicles, but I guess that all really comes down to the manufacturer of each component, like Saginaw, Delphi AC Delco etc etc..
Makes sense to use the same components. Thanks clutch I will research this a bit further.
And my MC is a 78. The only thing that annoys me is the one year only stuff haha
I have 2 78 Cutlasses a 79 H/O and an 87

Last edited:

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
The EPA shut down the only pick and pull within 60 mile radius of me and the others are in the valley in LA..haha not going there too many people haha the one here out in the desert was nice because I'm out in the boonies sort a so no body was there haha
Most everything is late model around here I really have to scavenge and think outside the box or travel I drove to de to get my yellow parts car

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Ok so 78 the dimmer is on the floor.... that's a bit harder to find you need a 78 to 81 stick tilt column s-10 won't work it has a dimmer you can use Vega Pontiac Astro Monza 70s a body or 80 and older square body like my crew cab
14938600334871655159596.jpg
but one with a stick obviously

• Informative
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Is it an F41 car, it will definitely help? I am sure you know that 7.5" is on borrowed time unless he upgraded to a 8.5" or 9". Very cool to find a W30 crate motor, a 72 version would have 8.5 to 1 and a milder cam, correct? Plus a M-21 4 SPD, very interesting.
Correct me if I wrong. With the 40cc dish pistons, it actually more like 8 to 1. Pretty sure it wouldn't have 328 duration cam like the 70.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Correct me if I wrong. With the 40cc dish pistons, it actually more like 8 to 1. Pretty sure it wouldn't have 328 duration cam like the 70.
I don't know exactly but yes it's a way more mellow motor it's been a while sense I looked it up and it ran so good in the boat I never took it apart

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Mine actually has a lever for the lights on the column. So if it does I can use any column with a key release lever like an s10 or any of the other ones you said?

• Agree

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Mine actually has a lever for the lights on the column. So if it does I can use any column with a key release lever like an s10 or any of the other ones you said?
Yes if the turn signal switch is the dimmer switch for the headlights then s-10 or 3rd gen f-body is about the best way to go as far as I can remember. Like I said when I do mine I'll show everyone I still need to dig up a neutral safety switch for my pedal with the pig tail to tie it in

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor