87 Cutlass Quarter Panel Repair and Repaint Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

WIKD CUT

Apprentice
May 28, 2010
Well.....had my car in the driveway, getting it ready for a show when all of a sudden, BANG!!! Neighbor kid hit an errant golf ball in my direction. It was right at dark and I originally thought that it had just hit the house. Him and his dad came over and apologized and were on their way. Pulled the car out the next day and what do I see? Yep, golf ball dent right in front of the rear wheel opening. :x So I pull the door jamb vent out and look down inside and wouldn't you know it? The dent is right where the inner fender is attached to the body panel. :(

So I take it to the paintless dent repair place that I have used before and he gives it a go but of course can't get to it because of its location. He tells me that I am going to have to have that dent filled and the whole quarter panel repainted. :x I took it to the local hot rod shop that works on high end cars because frankly I don't trust your average collision place to fix it right and do a show quality job. (the paint on my car is original and in EXCELLENT shape for being 27 years old. I have meticulously maintained the paint on the car by liberal use of polish and wax and it is in top notch shape).

Needless to say, I am not happy and I do not know how the neighbor is going to handle this situation. He told me that he would "work with me" but was not happy about the idea of how much repairing and repainting the entire quarter panel will be...

So my question is, how much do you think it will cost (ballpark) to have the dent repaired and the whole panel repainted? To top things off, this car has a lot of trim pieces that need to be removed to prep and paint it and then replaced when it is done (vinyl top trim, side molding, stainless rocker covers in front of the wheel well and behind, stainless fender well trim) And is has a gold pin stripe that needs to be matched and added to top it all off. Not sure what the factory color is called, but the care is a metallic gray color.

So what am I looking at here when considering all the dissassembly, prep work, dent repair, color matching, pinstriping, and then reassembly? My dad seems to think $800-$1000 should do it but I'm thinking more north of $2000.

I'm just looking for a ballpark figure here, nothing concrete as prices vary from one part of the country to the other...

On a side note, the paintless dent repair guy did have one other option to possibly explore. He suggested getting somebody to cut the inner fender away from the body and notch a hole in it big enough that he can get his tools in there to try at it again. He has no guarantee that it would work though because of how strong the sheetmetal is and how sharp the dent is. The downside is that if it DOESN'T work, that just adds to the cost of the total repair...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would go with the hot rod shop that you trust. If you get it done for a lower price some place else what position are you going to be in if they mess up the job. Why not bring your neighbor with you to the hot rod shop so he can hear it from them what the cost is and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor