87 Cutlass window sweeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

gharris79

Apprentice
Sep 21, 2011
Miramichi NB Canada
I'm looking to buy a set of outer window sweeps for my Cutlass. I can't seem to find any. I see different post about people needing wide ones. How do I know what I need before ordering? Any links to web site would be great.

Thanks

dacutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2014
Near Detroit MI
I just looked and Gbodyparts.com has them:
http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info. ... ts_id=1670

I'm pretty sure that Mikes Montes has them too but I'm not sure if they are 100% correct.

A year or so ago when I got my inner sweeps I picked them up from an outfit that sold them on Ebay. I'm pretty sure this is the outfit I got them from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-1988-Oldsm ... 04&vxp=mtr

I did not do my outer sweeps because it looks like you have to remove the window glass to do it. There are several Philips screws holding them in place. There is one that I don't think you can remove without removing the glass. Uhhhg. If anyone knows a way around this let me know.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
dacutty said:
I did not do my outer sweeps because it looks like you have to remove the window glass to do it. There are several Philips screws holding them in place. There is one that I don't think you can remove without removing the glass. Uhhhg. If anyone knows a way around this let me know.

to replace the door sweeps you remove the door panel and drop the window down to get to the philips screws. If you take the window out to replace the sweep you have a good chance damaging the sweep trying to get the window back in..

you can also get them dooe sweep and other parts here..

https://www.nosreproductions.com/index.php

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
Remove the door panel and take the lower glass stop out and the window will come down just low enough. I think It was held on with one bolt.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
gharris79 said:
I'm looking to buy a set of outer window sweeps for my Cutlass. I can't seem to find any. I see different post about people needing wide ones. How do I know what I need before ordering? Any links to web site would be great.

Thanks
Well do you have a wide chrome molding on the top of the door?
The sweeps for those are different than the thin bead one.
Dixiemontecarlo.com has all those aftermarket, not sure on the fitment...
I have a set of thin bead WS from GM and the correct ones for the wide moldings, if interested send a PM.

marz442

Greasemonkey
Jan 12, 2013
Cicero Il
I need a set also for my 87 olds cutlass. Can someone please post a pic of the difference, and who has the best fit close to omen? Please help.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
marz442 said:
I need a set also for my 87 olds cutlass. Can someone please post a pic of the difference, and who has the best fit close to omen? Please help.
The difference is that one comes with the thin chrome bead and the other doesn't because it's stapled to the wide upper door molding.
Aftermarket weather-stripping generally doesn't fit right as I've seen and experienced with hardtop roof molding but sweeps are a little more forgiving. IIRC the thin bead design is different on aftermarkets.
I've seen this topic covered before on a few sites so a Google search will answer your questions if you require photos for comparison.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I bought mine from Rock Auto. My car has the wide chrome and the replacements have the thin chrome strip. Just remove the old sweeps and tuck the new ones under it. You remove the door panel as said and a stubby Phillips and bit taped to a 1/4" wrench. My car no longer has awful wind noise and no more clunking windows.

dacutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2014
Near Detroit MI
86 Grand prix said:
Remove the door panel and take the lower glass stop out and the window will come down just low enough. I think It was held on with one bolt.

Holy cow, that is a great idea, here I was thinking I had to take the glass out. I should be able to knock this out now. I remember adjusting the stop on my other car but I never thought to remove it to lower the window itself. My 87 442 needs the outer sweeps replaced badly. It's the next project on the punch list.

marz442

Greasemonkey
Jan 12, 2013
Cicero Il
88hurstolds said:
gharris79 said:

Thanks
Well do you have a wide chrome molding on the top of the door?
The sweeps for those are different than the thin bead one.
Dixiemontecarlo.com has all those aftermarket, not sure on the fitment...
I have a set of thin bead WS from GM and the correct ones for the wide moldings, if interested send a PM.
Pm me a price for thin GM sweeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor