87 dash plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Fellow G body friends, this is probably a shot in the dark but who else can we turn to? I’m trying to restore my 87 442 interior and have found some pieces but still need dash trim, if anyone has good looking pieces that your willing to sell I would appreciate it, I already know these aren’t cheep, I wish I would have bought extra stuff back when the dealer had them. Also anything else that’s available for that year. I need quite a bit. I finally got a great looking factory radio but need the harness because whoever put the aftermarket in was also a butcher. Also does anyone in the group know where to get the factory steering wheel redone? Thanks for your help. Hopefully I can return the assistance to the group.
0BB4E4A8-B4B0-4700-AE12-FA4CD10BAA06.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Unfortunately, you're not the only one searching. And because it's a one year only thing, you're going to be looking a long time. Those that have been lucky enough to find them, hold on to them or use them themselves.

You may get lucky, who knows, but be prepared to pay for NOS items. This is one area they could repro if they did it right, and at least freshen up a dash or two.

There are several leather stitching companies that can do that work to your steering wheel. If your leather is good, you can probably just get them to replace the padding underneath and restitch the original. If your leather is all fugged up, there are some places that can dye and cut new leather as well. Depends on how well you want the resto. It's not going to be dirt cheap, but in the long run, it'll probably be worth it. Better than those cheesy steering wheel wrap things you get at advance auto.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
The dash trim for 87’ 442’s is by far my favorite in terms of appearance. I really wish somebody would reproduce them. Since I put Lightning rods in my car with an NOS shifter plate I wanted all the dash trim to match so I put in NOS trim for 1984. It also solved that ugly wood grain match issue on the radio bezel found beginning on the 86’ Cutlass’. Those radio bezels turn pink from UV exposure and I don’t think they were even a good match when new.

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The 86-88 walnut woodgrain is the same throughout all Cutlass/442 of those years. The only exception was the 87 442 to dark sheffield gray or sheffield gray. I've seen it both ways in the parts books. I have sets of everything except the RH sheffield gray vent plate.

To note for an FYI, the 87 442 shifter plate ONLY came with OD lens installed because you could only get that plate for an 87 442 which only came with the MW9 OD transmission. The other versions came with 3 speed or OD transmission lenses. If you are able to obtain one for a 3 speed and you need an OD lens or vice-versa, you can persuade your old lens out of your old top plate and swap it to the new one if you need to. Just be careful. They're glued in and if you just manhandle it, you'll break something. Use one of those cheap, snap off blade flexible knives that you can get up under the flange to cut the glue bond and you're good to go.

For the 86-88 walnut, 22528627 superseded to 22528650 was the part number for the radio bezels. Not sure the reasoning behind the part number change but it was in the middle of the 86 production run, as were a number of other minor changes for Cutlass in the 86 model year.

The 86-88 walnut woodgrain console and dash bezels for whatever reason could turn horribly pinkish when overexposed to the sun. It wasn't a week or a month, but over the years, you see original cars that sat in the sun and weather. And I've also seen examples where they just got darker, and not pinkish. The 78-85 butterfly walnut pieces seemed to be of a glossy smooth finish and as long as it wasn't rubbed on, tended to hold up longer than the walnut of 86-up.

Don't discount looking at early Delta 88s with D55 console, either. They used the same setup as the Cutlass. So if you see a Delta 88 NOS top plate and you have a Cutlass with butterfly walnut and need one, get it. It's the same part number.

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

mwjoyce78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 10, 2018
New Hampshire
Unfortunately, you're not the only one searching. And because it's a one year only thing, you're going to be looking a long time. Those that have been lucky enough to find them, hold on to them or use them themselves.

You may get lucky, who knows, but be prepared to pay for NOS items. This is one area they could repro if they did it right, and at least freshen up a dash or two.

There are several leather stitching companies that can do that work to your steering wheel. If your leather is good, you can probably just get them to replace the padding underneath and restitch the original. If your leather is all fugged up, there are some places that can dye and cut new leather as well. Depends on how well you want the resto. It's not going to be dirt cheap, but in the long run, it'll probably be worth it. Better than those cheesy steering wheel wrap things you get at advance auto.
Without hijacking the thread, would you share a few of the resources for the steering wheel re-wrap/ reconditioning? Thanks.

Matt

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Craftcustoms.com does them. Used to be known as American Stitches when I used them. Go to their website and you can see the kind of work they do. I had them redo my 84 H/O steering wheel about 20 years ago. I couldn't find the right leather for it, so I sent a sample to a leather company in NY and had some tanned to match the maple leather and finish. Had to buy half a hide to do it, but then I got the leather I needed. I sent pieces to the steering wheel company and they repaired my wheel and redid the leather on it. Came out nice. You'd need to contact them for a quote.

nuwheel.jpg

Here's a sampling of an 87 442 wheel and an 80 Cutlass wheel they redid.
Oldsmobile-442-1987-Leather-Steering-Wheel-B.jpg

Oldsmobile-Cutlass-1980-Leather-Steering-Wheel.jpg

You can also try

Again, you have to contact them for quotes, but these are only a couple out there.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Thanks for all of that information, this forum has the best people and knowledge about the cars we love. 69hurstolds are you willing to part with the trim plates on either side of the Speedo cluster? There the last pieces I need. If not I totally understand being how hard they are to find. I’ve seen the wrapping kits but not sure if they would work, I would think they may bubble in the heat. My steering wheel is a total restoration, the padding is twisted and broke down and the leather is in poor shape. I’m going to reach out to your recommendations and get this redone. The Sheffield gray really is the best looking one in my opinion also. Thanks

maxi426

Apprentice
Sep 20, 2018
Just wanted to add that I emailed Gbody Parts approximately 6 months ago about reproducing the 1987 442 console appliques. They told me this was something they were working on. Maybe if everyone here that was interested in these appliques shot them an email, we could reinforce the interest in this.

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Just wanted to add that I emailed Gbody Parts approximately 6 months ago about reproducing the 1987 442 console appliques. They told me this was something they were working on. Maybe if everyone here that was interested in these appliques shot them an email, we could reinforce the interest in this.
That would be great if they would. Thanks for your comment I will definitely send them a email

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
That would be great if they would. Thanks for your comment I will definitely send them a email
Just an update from Craftcustoms that 69hurstolds recommended they said 450 to do a restoration on my 87 leather steering wheel and I asked them about the trim plates and he said they also could restore them. I’m going to try to send them a set of wood grain plates and let them turn them into Sheffield grey and report back to everyone with pictures on how they look…. Just might be a answer to our dilemma. Thanks 69 hurst olds for the advice.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor