87 El Camino Daily Driver/Weekend Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Warren you better not get that Dakota G-body cluster in your Elco before I get mine in my Malibu! I just ordered mine Tuesday 8)

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
79loserbluebu said:
Warren you better not get that Dakota G-body cluster in your Elco before I get mine in my Malibu! I just ordered mine Tuesday 8)

LOL!! I'm laggin on ordering em. I keep calling M&M speed up to get em, but get the answering service. I might just go thru Dakota's wesite like I did for the SS back in the day. I probably wont install em until I get the new motor also. I dont know. Looks really easy to insatll aslo. Dakota's website has a page with detailed pics on a Malibu they did. Really nice and straight forward

84elko said:
damn wish i had the coin for that digital cluster. those hids in the monte are pretty sweet warren. i got to get my s together to get a set in my el.

I know!! Ive been saving here and there and not eatin out at Jacks for lunch for the past 6 months to get em. LOL! All that fast food loot adds up quickly! $5 here, $4 there and before you know it...$600 saved. Im brown baggin it from here on out!! Hell I could of had an LS3 in the SS by now! HAHA!! I sent you a pm on the hid's bruh. I could swing out your way so you can check the housing and stuff out...I got the painless wiring kit and extra relays to power the ballast from the battery coming. I'll hookup with you when everything comes in the mail.... Thanks for checking back..

tc1959...Lookin clean bruh!!

file.php

Elco Warren 8)

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Yep got mine last night from them. I was going to order from Summit because they give you both lenses if you ever want to change colors, but Dakota has free shipping on their website right now. They actually send you both lenses. I can't beleive the cluster is so small though!

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
79loserbluebu said:
Yep got mine last night from them. I was going to order from Summit because they give you both lenses if you ever want to change colors, but Dakota has free shipping on their website right now. They actually send you both lenses. I can't beleive the cluster is so small though!

Sweet!! You probably already know you'll have to do a little trimming to get the panel to sit nice and flush. I did this on my SS and I painted the inside of the bezel a flat black. Worked out really sweet...

Here's a pic..I used a razor and gently sliced at the base of the raised plastic area. Then snapped the pieces off.

2206945380044332610S600x600Q85.jpg

Trimmed this part down a little using my trusty ole Dremmel. Now the panel sits flush up againts the bezel

2185910070044332610S600x600Q85.jpg

2770888400044332610S600x600Q85.jpg

2194817940044332610S600x600Q85.jpg

2320913340044332610S600x600Q85.jpg

Click photo below for other views of that project if you wanna check it out...

Man Imma order i for the Elcot right now. LOL! Just dropped a Yellow top in the El. New H-4 headlamp housings just got here. Bout to play with those for a bit...

Elco Warren 8)

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
Snatched up the Dakota panel. Should be here by next Wed. I didnt use the shift indicator module I have on the SS digi gauge install. I'll use it on the Elco. I was gonna pickup (3) 2 1/16" round gauges for the triple pillar pod setup, but I'll hold off on it. When I get em, I'll probably do a trans temp, subwoofer amplifier temp and current gauge setup. I'm thinking I'll save that project for when I'm ready to re spray the interior and stuff. With the El dawg being my daily driver, I try to get all the parts and stuff together and knock it all out at once. I also got my Irocs back. They will be sent out to get checked for cracks and re-chromed. The 5th "spare" iroc is gonna be mounted in the bed. Thats why I havent done my whole subwoofer setup yet. I gotta get the spare mounted up first. Did the Cateye low beam HID install yesterday. Came out clean. I still need to do the high beams, and install the Painless highbeam relay setup. The cateye kit is in 8000k, H-1 bulbs, 35 watt slim ballast and some OEM style H-4 housings. The H-1 bulb system works in the H-4 housings. I have the H-1 housings, but they did not fit in the meatal headlight buckets correctly. I'll use those on the Malibu when I get it.. I'll have some pics up soon..

Elco Warren 8)

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Sweet appreciate the pics Warren, I wasn't exactly sure how much to cut but looking at those pics I think I can figure it out.

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
79loserbluebu said:
Sweet appreciate the pics Warren, I wasn't exactly sure how much to cut but looking at those pics I think I can figure it out.

Cool! I have another gauge bezel part and will trim it out. One thing I didnt like about the Digi panel is that the og turn signal indicators are moved. They are just above the speedo. Im going to add some soft blue leds and mount em in the lens where the factory lamps are. Then tap into the the wires running to the Dakota's brain. On my SS, the whole car was rewired and none of the factory "idiot lights" on the cluster work(high beam, brake, ect) This time around I want the Dakota panel tapped into the factory setup. That way if I sell the car all the factory stuff is there. This will let me use those indicators also. Thats how they did it on the Malibu on there site.

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
Got the low beam set installed. I also installed a Painles 30802 high beam wiring kit so I can run hi and low at the same time (like stock) if needed. I'll install the high beam hid housings and ballast in the morn after work..

5406496874_052495af50_b.jpg

5405893251_0d92c23634_b.jpg

Wired the painless high beam kit up..

5406498206_0fe5222403_z.jpg

And now with the pull of the stalk, I can run Highs and lows. I'll install the highbeam hid kit after work in the morning...

5406504298_afc572d1de_b.jpg

5406503178_f1a93f9310_b.jpg

5405894763_e097494f5d_b.jpg

Anybody intrested in runnin quads can check the Painless kit out here--->PAINLESS 30802 HIGHBEAM KIT

EDITING A VID OF THE INSTALL NOW....

Elco Warren :cool:

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Dayum player!!! U doing alot, I wish I was into all that wiring sh*t!! I hate wires, its so time consuming!!!

U doing big things..keep up the good work, just dont drive behind me one day, dont want to get blinded and crash my elko....lmao :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor