87 mc ss chevy 350 overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I had one of the above mentioned Mr Gasket thermostat's slowly fail to the point it barely opened. Worked well for the first week and then downhill from there. As said water pump, fan, clutch and shroud all need to be right. A 180 or 160 temp would be better, especially with a non functioning heater.

thrasher

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2013
When you encounter cooling problems the thing it ends up being is usually one of the following,
The checklist:

1. Coolant level. Make sure it's FULL.
2. Correct fan clutch operation. If it spins easily by hand it's bad.
3. Is the initial timing very low? This can cause excessive heat.
4. Is the thermostat stuck?
5. Is the radiator cap holding pressure?
6. Is part of the upper radiator hose higher than the radiator opening? It can trap air, the radiator cap needs to be the highest point in the system.
7. Do you have a purge/recovery tank? Is coolant allowed to flow to and from the purge/recovery tank?
8. Correct fan usage. There are standard and reverse-rotation fans.
9. Correct water pump usage. There are standard and reverse-rotation water pumps.
10. Are you using a shroud? The correct fan blade orientation is about “50/50”—halfway in the shroud, halfway out.
11. Make sure the coolant types haven't been mixed. Standard Antifreeze should NEVER be mixed with Dex-Cool, the results can be nasty.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Is this gauge you are using factory or aftermarket?
Is this the only verification you are using to say it is running 240-245 which is very hot in my opinion I would expect to have some driveability issues at that temp.
and if I saw that temp. on my Autometer gauge I would not even be driving it.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I had a bad EGR valve cause my motor to run hot. Even a PCV valve with an incorrect flow rate can cause the motor to run hotter than nit should by leaning the mixture too much.

87ssdotricks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 6, 2013
ayy sorry i havent been on here ..i tried getting on but nothing was popping up but yea first thing in the morning ill get some pictures and make a video ..i just been busy working but im off this 3 day weekend so ill try to get it figured out tomorrow and monday i was just gonna give up on this motor and get a built one but ill see tomorrow..but i know for sure my fan blade n clutch are fine its not that

87ssdotricks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 6, 2013
I got straight pipe right now so i dont really like just running the car pissing off my neighbors but ima have my mechanic come check it out for me see if he can tell what it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor