88 cutlass build thread (project midnight)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepycutlasscruzer

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2011
detriot
hey guys. threw a bunch of mixed up deals that i almost had no control over i ended up with this almost mint 1988 cutlass supreme with 84k original miles , 307 v8, and i got it for $2500. you think i did ok? im still in denile about owning it. anyways this is my build thread even though this isnt going to be that radcal. its going to be a daily driven nice cutlass. let me know what you think. more pics to come SOON

Attachments

• James wife+ car pics 174.jpg
    James wife+ car pics 174.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 1,077
  • James wife+ car pics 176.jpg
    James wife+ car pics 176.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 1,078
  • James wife+ car pics 178.jpg
    James wife+ car pics 178.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 1,084

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Re: 88 cutlass build thread (midnight)

Nice car. Hard top is a big plus so is the exterior & interior color and you have ralley wheels. With my 88 Cutty 307 200-4R 2.56 gear I got 17 avg mpg mix of hwy & city normal driving. If you don't play johnny racer and manually shift it to hold a gear and over rev it the 307 was very dependable. With exhaust it will sound good and burn tires at a stoplight but there is no bang for the buck in trying to hop it up. About the best thing is clean egr add an advance curve kit to pull out a few horsies and bring it from lazy to crisp. Well and gear swap or swap to a MCSS rear for some 3.42/3.73 gears. I swapped a MCSS rear in mine with the 3.73 and because of the overdrive my overall mileage staid the same just better acceleration.

With a timing chain & oil pump & normal maintenance 200,000 would be an expected minimum. If it does not have any serious body or frame rust you did fine at $2,500. BFG makes a 25.4 tall 205/70/14 RWL for the front and 25.6 tall 245/60/14 RWL for the rear that looks great on these cars with those wheels. Good stance and look for cheap. Also check your front end links often they need replaced on these cars. You can get poly end links cheap anywhere and helps to firm up and take slop out of the handling. If you have a mushy or missing end link rubber bushing you will noticeably feel the improvment by adding new poly end link bushings. You can change them yourself even if you are not very mechanically inclined. Last a ralley guage pack is a cheap and easy upgrade often you can find them for sale here or at one of the gbody vendors. Does she have the rear sway bar?

sleepycutlasscruzer

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2011
detriot

i dont think it has a rear sway bar but ill more then likly put one on. the susp. is nice and tight and it rides like a new car. rust wise its pretty f-ing solid. it dosent have any hole but i does have sum bubbles in the paint down on the rockers. if i take care it soon i shouldnt have any problems. the most i plan on doing is a locker rear end w/ a little bigger gear ( 3.42 or 3.08), a nice set of stainless duel exhaust but noting to loud (no flowmaster), rear sway bar and the bigger front sway bar, and more then likly a factory replacement k&n filter. and i might do the timing advance kit that you had mentioned. ive never owned a completly stock cutlass before and i dont want to screw with it to much. i love this car but im still head over heels for my hotrod wagon.

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010

Nice car looks very clean.You could do a factory bucket seat swap with console, rally pack,and sport wheel. I like the manual windows cool.

sleepycutlasscruzer

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2011
detriot

Burnhard said:
Nice car looks very clean.You could do a factory bucket seat swap with console, rally pack,and sport wheel. I like the manual windows cool.

buckets and a console isnt a bad idea. ive been looking for two of the rally style gauge clusters. one for my wagon and now one for this.

SilverShadow87

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2011

i have a ralley cluster from my other car, for a column shift.. i dont need it, my 87s already got one. interested?

sleepycutlasscruzer

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2011
detriot

SilverShadow87 said:
i have a ralley cluster from my other car, for a column shift.. i dont need it, my 87s already got one. interested?

yes i am. give me a price and include shipping to detroit mi. how many miles are on the cluster?

sleepycutlasscruzer

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2011
detriot
some more pics After i gave it the first bath , also put my 17x8 wheels on it. :D

Attachments

• James wife+ car pics 180.jpg
    James wife+ car pics 180.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 1,007
  • James wife+ car pics 181.jpg
    James wife+ car pics 181.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 994
  • James wife+ car pics 184.jpg
    James wife+ car pics 184.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 1,004

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Looks like a sweet car! The wheels improve the appearance bigtime. Very nice! Invest in some anti-theft devices..or park it where you can keep an eye on it.
I guess the wagon is still hangin' in the wind...that's okay! I think you did well with this Cutlass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor