88 cutlass lv2 442 value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Here's my thoughts, worth what you paid:

1) you can see in the pic with the old "lv2" stripe/decal that this car used to have the "snakeblinders" aka stainless lower body trim. Not a bad thing, but, clearly the removal process was to grind off the studs and apply bondo over the old stud locations/holes where clips/fastness went through. To me, that's a far inferior method to welding up the holes, and, could eventually crack/bubble/lift whatever.

Anyone who decodes the spid label in the trunk will also know the car originally had them, and question how removal/repair was done.

2) it's a clean looking car, paint looks nice for now, but, is only as good as the prep work. Does he have any in-process pics of the paint, and, more importantly, what the top surfaces looked like before prep, after prep, etc? Paint on top sunburned off, and maroon/black cars were the worst for burning away to a coat of surface rust. Did they primer over it and paint, or treat/remove first?

G bodies, especially nice interior/low mile ones, are popular right now to buy and flip. How long did he own it?

3) I see that car as a nice driver for someone. The whole "lv2" thing doesn't make it more valuable than any other 88 right now, and, with the repaint and original decals gone, I doubt it ever will be either.

If you want a v8 cutlass, and are happy with the work, presentation, and will enjoy driving it, thats one thing. If you view it as an investment or something that should appreciate in value for rarity, hold out to trade for a 442 or Hurst/Olds cause this won't be that car.

Reactions: 1 users

superfly85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2020
Hot rod and rat rod are two very different things. However, I'm not really into the valuation of any given car, I believe the market will ultimately set the FMV.

I agree that if both parties are happy with the deal, that's what really matters at the end of the day.

Assuming you make the trade, if it were me, I would remove the "442" logos, as they're going to be a sore spot with many that know the difference. Nothing wrong with doing it up like one, but the minute those decals went on, the perception of fraud began

A traditional hot rod and a traditional style rat rod are very similar and based on the same principles. Its when the term "rat rod" started getting thrown around very loosely and then you bring in old man street rods where things get screwed up.

I kind of agree with your point on the 442 stuff. Then again people turn lemans into gtos and chevelles and novas into ss all the time. Its when you start to try to pass stuff off as real instead of a clone that youre getting shady

superfly85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2020
Here's my thoughts, worth what you paid:

1) you can see in the pic with the old "lv2" stripe/decal that this car used to have the "snakeblinders" aka stainless lower body trim. Not a bad thing, but, clearly the removal process was to grind off the studs and apply bondo over the old stud locations/holes where clips/fastness went through. To me, that's a far inferior method to welding up the holes, and, could eventually crack/bubble/lift whatever.

Anyone who decodes the spid label in the trunk will also know the car originally had them, and question how removal/repair was done.

2) it's a clean looking car, paint looks nice for now, but, is only as good as the prep work. Does he have any in-process pics of the paint, and, more importantly, what the top surfaces looked like before prep, after prep, etc? Paint on top sunburned off, and maroon/black cars were the worst for burning away to a coat of surface rust. Did they primer over it and paint, or treat/remove first?

G bodies, especially nice interior/low mile ones, are popular right now to buy and flip. How long did he own it?

3) I see that car as a nice driver for someone. The whole "lv2" thing doesn't make it more valuable than any other 88 right now, and, with the repaint and original decals gone, I doubt it ever will be either.

If you want a v8 cutlass, and are happy with the work, presentation, and will enjoy driving it, thats one thing. If you view it as an investment or something that should appreciate in value for rarity, hold out to trade for a 442 or Hurst/Olds cause this won't be that car.

I do know the car was stripped to bare metal and he showed pics of the process, from what i could see it was done properly. If im not mistaken he paints for a living.
Im not sure how long he has owned it. I do know hes only the second owner.
Im not looking for it to appreciate. To be honest the reason I want to know the value is because I really want something I can drive until I sell to help expand my business. I cant drive my 46 more than around the block for various reasons, because it kills my screwed up back and leg.

Steve Bakken

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2015
I agree about the 442 decals. As long as you're honest, most won't have issue with it. My '79 Supreme is a 442 clone because that's how I've always wanted it. But I am always very forthcoming about the fact that it is a clone and not an attempt to pass it off as real. Never had any issues. Most people respect that.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
The car seems pretty solid, and I would trade a 46 Ford for it.

Positives - No rust. Fresh paint. Very presentable engine bay. Freshly painted air cleaner. New master cylinder. New overflow bottles. Clean interior. Nice wheels.
Negatives - $39 steering wheel :wtf: , overspray on the inner fenders & frame, and that crusty *ss hood latch.

I value the car at $7000 without seeing it in person.

Last edited:

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
The car seems pretty solid, and I would trade a 46 Ford for it.

Positives - No rust. Very presentable engine bay. Freshly painted air cleaner. New master cylinder. New overflow bottles. Clean interior. Nice wheels.
Negatives - $39 steering wheel :wtf: , overspray on the inner fenders & frame, and that crusty *ss hood latch.

I value the car at $7000 without seeing it in person.
That so called $39.00 steering wheel looks better than the UGLY originals

• Dislike

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
That so called $39.00 steering wheel looks better than the UGLY originals
Sorry Doug, that's the cheapest looking, most out of place, non-matching steering wheel I have ever seen. Poor taste all around.

• Agree

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Sorry Doug, that's the cheapest looking, most out of place, non-matching steering wheel I have ever seen. Poor taste all around.
Its just that I think the factory steering wheels are the only visual sore spot of a Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor