9 inch brakes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I have one of those factory disk brake axles on my shelf I've been hanging on to it for the right project

Last edited:

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
You can be in it for under 100 bucks. Get 2 LT1 4th gen camaro rear rotors, use the lugs to bolt it firmly to the axle.
Buy 2 metric calipers from the parts store, they are about 15 a pop plus core, dont forget pads . Buy 2 metric caliper weld on brackets Allstar has them, they have the disc/disc prop valve you should use too.

Bolt the calipers to the mount, with the pads in them
Put air to the calipers to center them
Tack weld, 1" max long strips so you dont warp anything.

Obviously test fit for any interference, but this is really the simplest way.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

WelfareWagon

Apprentice
Jun 12, 2017
Missouri
IMG_0712.PNG
You can be in it for under 100 bucks. Get 2 LT1 4th gen camaro rear rotors, use the lugs to bolt it firmly to the axle.
Buy 2 metric calipers from the parts store, they are about 15 a pop plus core, dont forget pads . Buy 2 metric caliper weld on brackets Allstar has them, they have the disc/disc prop valve you should use too.

Bolt the calipers to the mount, with the pads in them
Put air to the calipers to center them
Tack weld, 1" max long strips so you dont warp anything.

Obviously test fit for any interference, but this is really the simplest way.

I found this kit last night. Thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
View attachment 72179

I found this kit last night. Thoughts?
Do you want or need to have an emergency brake? That kit has no provision for one. If it were my car, I would buy a drum brake setup to fit the rear axle housing and the axles you are buying for the GM wheel pattern. I prefer drum brakes on the rear. I think the pedal feels better with rear drums. If you want rear disc for the looks I understand but it seems to me 99% of the guys who swap to rear disc brakes don't need them.

I haven't looked into any of the kits like mentioned above that put rear drums with a GM bolt pattern on a 9". If I went with one, I would want it to use drums, shoes, wheel cylinders and hardware from a regular production car, like say an 80's B-Body. That way parts aren't hard to come by and you can hook up your e-brake.

• Agree

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
The Ford Motorsports M-2300 kit for Ford rear end with "Big Ford (New-Style)" Torino Housing Ends is what I used on mine. It's a kit that uses the Ford Explorer rear 11" discs.

Hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor